• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925A2 Winch Cable Troubles

plainside

HI,

Trying to replace the winch cable on my M925A2. Taking off the old crimp on end it busted the inner wedge. (took a bunch of heat and a large impact wrench to get it off). What is the crimp on end between the chain and the cable called so I can research it to buy used?? Or is there another way of fixing it without buying new parts? Don't think the winch was used and the cable was stuck in good. Any help is appreciated, I don't know where else to look!

Thanks!aua

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a swaged rope termination or one of the Electroline end fittings? If swaged, you will need another installed by a rope shop. If the Electroline, a new "torpedo" can be purchased from Esmet or a dealer.
Do not attempt to reassemble with the old broken insert.

plainside

HI,

There is a nut that that cable goes through , then the cable and nut goes into where the chain hooks up and screws int and binds it into the wedge inside the female part as you screw it in. I just unstranded the cable some so the wedge could fit around the cable and put the wedge in the middle and tightened it all together, seems to be fine. will test in a safe way before using it. Thanks.

plainside

Great, thanks a bunch! That's what I was looking for. Price seems OK to. If the one I have does not hold up I will be purchasing one of those.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HI,

Trying to replace the winch cable on my M925A2. Taking off the old crimp on end it busted the inner wedge. (took a bunch of heat and a large impact wrench to get it off). What is the crimp on end between the chain and the cable called so I can research it to buy used?? Or is there another way of fixing it without buying new parts? Don't think the winch was used and the cable was stuck in good. Any help is appreciated, I don't know where else to look!

Thanks!aua
Like Doghead said the manuals are a good place to look but they can be tough to navigate if you are not familiar with them. Before I bought my deuce, the guy I bought it from gave me a -10 manual. I'm an Engineer, so I love details and standard processes. So naturally I was like a sponge with all the information with it because I did not have the truck to look at yet. If you like information and don’t get bored with reading manuals, it is kind of neat. I guarantee you will learn something more about these trucks or some cool accessory yours does not have but wish it did. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions about the manuals and I will try to help point you in the right direction.

74M35A2

Like Doghead said the manuals are a good place to look but they can be tough to navigate if you are not familiar with them. Before I bought my deuce, the guy I bought it from gave me a -10 manual. I'm an Engineer, so I love details and standard processes. So naturally I was like a sponge with all the information with it because I did not have the truck to look at yet. If you like information and don’t get bored with reading manuals, it is kind of neat. I guarantee you will learn something more about these trucks or some cool accessory yours does not have but wish it did. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions about the manuals and I will try to help point you in the right direction.
Nicest "read the manual" post I have seen, with help offered. You're not so bad after-all Wild****. Godspeed......

plainside

Thanks guys, got to test out my fix when it warms up or the wind lets down. Did oil change with engine oil filter, tranny filter, fuel / water separator, hydraulic filter. Who knows when it was done last! Topped off power steering fluid, coolant, and tightened a hose clamp that was weeping a bit of coolant, along with grease. Hyd. oil looks very thick!!!! Should I replace with an ISO 68 or so? Any thing else to do with a new truck?

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys, got to test out my fix when it warms up or the wind lets down. Did oil change with engine oil filter, tranny filter, fuel / water separator, hydraulic filter. Who knows when it was done last! Topped off power steering fluid, coolant, and tightened a hose clamp that was weeping a bit of coolant, along with grease. Hyd. oil looks very thick!!!! Should I replace with an ISO 68 or so? Any thing else to do with a new truck?

I would just PM the snot out of the truck... but that is my style. If something does not work right or is broken, that is where I would put my money first. For example, when I bought my truck i checked all the light bulbs to make sure they were all working. Some of them had a dark tint to them but still worked. I knew they were on their way out, so I replaced them in pairs as needed. if a door window rolls up and down hard, take it apart and lube everything up. It is so much nicer when everything on the truck works smooth as butter with no rattles or things out of adjustment. Again, that is just me. In my eyes, when I see a truck that is clean, everything adjusted properly, and attention to detail is important... that stands out to me. I lubed up the window regulator and track on 74M35A2's M925A2 and he loved it. Fighting with these trucks is not something you want to do time and time again. You are on the right track changing fluids and filters. It never hurts especially since you are going to rely on it.

plainside

Thanks! Put in a new winch cable as well. Engine shows new in 2008 from the tag on it but the hour meter shows over 900 hrs and only 5000 miles, something dont add up there. I figured they would replace the hour meter when the engine was replaced but maybe not>>??>> Tranny looks rebuilt in 08 .

Csm Davis

Just so anyone else that comes looking the nut piece is called a thimble and the piece in the wire rope is called a plug and both can be purchased from Esmet and are recommended to be replaced whenever they are undone and it is cheap insurance for a good termination on your new line. Esmet also sells a fixture to help with reassembly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks