• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925A2 Winch Problems Need Help

1954 COE

I recently purchased my M925A2 with the expectations of the winch working and of course no such luck.

The first problem is the PTO will not disengage. It runs continuously. I have gotten under the truck to check the
the attaching arm that the cable affixes to and it makes about a 100 deg. pivot. Moving the arm to either position
does not disengage the PTO. At some point recently, the PTO was replaced prior to my purchasing it as it is white
in color. I am not sure what the part number is on the PTO and or what the correct number should be.
When moving the arm on top of the PTO while the truck is running in neutral you can feel thru the lever and
hear the gear teeth grinding, and then you can turn the truck off and or place the transmission in 1-5 and
move the lever arm thru it's full arc and it will not change anything as the PTO still runs continuously.

Second problem is the control valve under the truck appears to be complete & without leaks, but when I manually
move the spool in and out, I am only able to get the winch to unspool the cable and will not rewind it, and then this
is only intermittent. Does the In and Out lever have a detent for the neutral position so the winch does not engage?

Third problem is the in and out lever on the winch itself, is not willing to shift out of the out position.
I have put the truck in 1-5 to try and engage (in) and or disengage (out) the winch with no effect. I shift to N to run
the winch with no effect.

I am at a loss. Does anyone have a parts breakdown for the Garwood 20,000 winch with all of the components
along with the PTO and Hydraulic valve. Parts breakdown of the lever controls for inside the truck?
Is there a TM out there that has any troubleshooting information? Cable adjustments?
This shouldn't be this difficult as they are not that many components involved with the function of the winch.

Any suggestions or other information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rick, I think I met you the other day when you were getting some parts in AZ.
Are trying to engage the pto when the trans. is in 1-5? That is how you need to engage the pto. Then to run the winch you move the trans. back to N.

I think when you put the trans in 1-5 the pto should stop turning.

The control lever does not have a detent, just some springs in the valve that bring it back to neutral.

On the winch, I would try adjusting the linage at the valve end to get it to work right. I just got a M932A2 to it would not put the cable in and it turn out to be
out of adjustment and had a lot of pant on the valve shaft.

Hope this helps.
PM me if you want to talk about it.

Rifleman

1954 COE, if you haven't already done so you can down load a copy of all the TM's for your truck here on S.S. for free. I think if you spend a little time looking them over they will answer most of your questions. I have a M925 with a winch just like the one on your truck and i know what your going through, it can be a pain sometimes getting the winch to spool the cable in and out.

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a question I installed a winch on my A2 everything works good except for the the lever you unlock to use the winch. I have to put a pipe on it to move it and it makes a crack sound when it does move. I am hoping it's from lack of use but I am nervous of that sound if that handle breaks I have a 20K bumper ornament. I tried to remove the fill plug hoping to change the fluid but its a steel plug in an Aluminum block and you know what happened its seized up good. I used a torch trying to budge it being careful not to melt the block. But now i figured i should try to get the drain plug first its a square plug also hoping to find a 8 point socket big enough to use on it with out making it round like i did my top one. Any ideas of why its making that noise would be great and helpful thanks

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
looking at the winch from the front its on the driver side on the bottom. The fill plug is on the top and it was square to now round but i can build onto it and get it out and re tap the hole but I want to be able to get the drain out so I can flush out and debris that falls out. The pass side has two small allen holes on top and 1 big square plug on the side near the bottom I haven't even looked at that one yet. I just dont want to break that lever off. And was hoping it just needs fluid

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks