• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M927 cargo question

SARTech

Hey guys,

Been lurking a while and I've been toying with a camper conversion for SHTF and misc camping. Seen some decent M109 conversions and some guys who have tried (keyword: tried) with 820/934s. I know camper conversions are often beat to death so I'll try not to drag this out.

Anyone done a 927/928 LWB with a 20' seacan camper conversion on the back? I liked the idea of a 820/934 expandable conversion but the whole wall becoming floor/ceiling issue limits a permanently mounted build. Anyone gone long instead? A 20' sea can clocks in at 5000lbs iirc, would it be too much once it was loaded up?

Didnt come up with much on this while searching. I'll keep looking though so I dont look like a complete moran :cookoo:

Cheers,

Adam in Alberta, Canada

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the height?

An S280 shelter with the extra space as a porch or storage.

SARTech

20 foot can comes in 8'6" tall or a 9'6 high cube but that would make for a tall unit when slapped on a 5 ton truck :p Luckily in the prairies of canada, bridges are tall and easily avoided :p

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The shelter idea has merit as does a 20 foot shipping container if it will meet the height requirements. I'd use a refrigerated one so it would already be insulated. Even with an insulated container I don't think weight would be an issue unless you really loaded it up.

quickfarms

There is a 16 foot version of the S-280 but I have never seen one.

The S-280 is very light about 1200 to 1500 lbs. they also have a 2" foam core that provides more insulation than the typical house wall.

I have a S-280 that I in the process of converting to a camper.

The 20 foot ISO containers are nice but they weigh a lot and are taller than the S-280. Additionally mounting one on the truck would require a lot of modifications to the truck including a frame extension.

Another option would be to find a refrigerated container and remove the cage for the cooling unit. This would shorten the container to about 17 feet.

A true cube container is only 8 feet tall and the interior is still around 7 feet.

SARTech

Good feedback guys, I appreciate it. I do realize that sea cans are pretty hefty for weight. I mean, they are build to stack, after all. Just looking to get more space. Was looking at fold out like the M934 but it would be hard to mount anything. Then M109. from what I can tell, the S280 is indeed light but its also quite tiny for what I'm looking to do. From what I can tell, they are about 8x12. Would fit in a deuce. That's what...85ish sq ft? By having a 8x20 can in a extended box M927, you'd get about 160 sq ft. 136 in a M934 but then that pesky folding wall issue comes into play.

If only ISO containers were lighter. I need a halfway point between the ISO and the S280. More space but not the sea can weight.

Would truck modification be required though, quickfarms? M927 is a 20' extended bed. Wouldnt think there would be much modifying required to get the 20' ISO on it. Maybe a bit, for a mounting solution. A reefer unit wouldnt be bad, still about 135sq ft, same as M934 and less modification/more outside room on the M927. Hmmm. I might have to look into that, bud. Thanks!

quickfarms

You are correct the bed length is 20 feet so the only modification would be adding the twist locks to the bed.

The bed height is just under 5 feet tall so it would be a tall truck but if you use a 8 foot tall container it would be just under 13 feet

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am on the hunt for a bumper-pull travel trailer that measures about 20 feet long with the front hitch cut off, to mount on my 927. Need to remove the axles and add tie downs. I figure 8.5 feet of height should just make it under the DOT requirement.

By the way, if you have a 934 available, what about eliminating the expansion parts that swing (roof, floor, and wall extensions) and then add your permanent mount fixtures? That should be close to the same square footage as a 20 foot container or my idea above, while providing the windows and side door.

Gunzy

If your going to make a container a permanent mount on the truck I would think you could reduce the height by removing the bed and mounting directly to the frame.

SARTech

Thinking of something like this if it can be made or purchased used. http://www.seabox.com/catalog/flyers/sb3860.0.1aap.pdf - Pretty niche can though and would be hard to source.

Having only a single slide out would give me a static wall on one side to mount items that need electricity/plumbing affixed. I like the idea of a dual expandable but they are massively heavy (10k lbs) and have the same type of wall issues an M934 has. No static walls except the 2 ends (one with the door and one actually useable)

Maybe I need to come at this from a different angle and just build something vs trying to grab a heavily reinforced (read: heavy) sea can.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks