• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M929 Dump Truck PTO removal

dan2002dd

I have a M929 5 ton dump truck with a PTO problem. I have searched on the site for anyone who has removed a PTO with no luck. I have located the procedure in the TM but my concern is the frame of the truck. There is not much room and I wanted to verify that it can be removed without dropping the transmission. And I tried to just remove the top but there is not enough room for to come out. Do any of you have any experience with this or any recommendations?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have a M929 5 ton dump truck with a PTO problem. I have searched on the site for anyone who has removed a PTO with no luck. I have located the procedure in the TM but my concern is the frame of the truck. There is not much room and I wanted to verify that it can be removed without dropping the transmission. And I tried to just remove the top but there is not enough room for to come out. Do any of you have any experience with this or any recommendations?
Remove the rear mount transmission bolt. Put a scissor jack against the frame and rear of transmission and put pressure

Pto will slide down the frame to the rear and out

dan2002dd

I finally got around to getting this done and was able to slide the PTO out without moving the transmission. The hardest part of the job was removing the driveshaft as it took a lot of hits with an air hammer. I was able to get the PTO repaired and back on and the truck to dump but still have to install a new PTO cable and since it is missing all the parts, I'm planning on just installing a simple pull cable in the floor. Anyone have any thoughts on why that wouldn't work?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I finally got around to getting this done and was able to slide the PTO out without moving the transmission. The hardest part of the job was removing the driveshaft as it took a lot of hits with an air hammer. I was able to get the PTO repaired and back on and the truck to dump but still have to install a new PTO cable and since it is missing all the parts, I'm planning on just installing a simple pull cable in the floor. Anyone have any thoughts on why that wouldn't work?
It isn't pretty, but a cable will definitely work.

The KEY will be to not "cheap out" on the cable. The outside of the cable should be about the size of your little finger. Yeah, you can buy the $15 version that looks like the cable on your push lawn mower but a few months later when that cable is rusted - your PTO won't be working very well. BE SURE to make the cable support out on the PTO side out of some beefy scrap metal that you have laying around. You don't want your support moving while the cable is moving...

Last edited:

dan2002dd

It isn't pretty, but a cable will definitely work.

The KEY will be to not "cheap out" on the cable. The outside of the cable should be about the size of your little finger. Yeah, you can buy the $15 version that looks like the cable on your push lawn mower but a few months later when that cable is rusted - your PTO won't be working very well. BE SURE to make the cable support out on the PTO side out of some beefy scrap metal that you have laying around. You don't want your support moving while the cable is moving...

I was originally planning the cheap cable but have reconsidered. I believe I have the support that bolts to the PTO so I should just be able to install it and clamp the cable to it. I found a cable I had salvaged from an old bus transmission shifter that is very similar to the original that I can use instead. I just have to figure out a handle on the cab side.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I was originally planning the cheap cable but have reconsidered. I believe I have the support that bolts to the PTO so I should just be able to install it and clamp the cable to it. I found a cable I had salvaged from an old bus transmission shifter that is very similar to the original that I can use instead. I just have to figure out a handle on the cab side.
Sounds to me like you already have the "ingenuity gene" so with a little time, you should be able to work it out. Best on the plan!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks