• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M929 Off Road Ability

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We just won a project where access is bad. I have budgeted two months rental of a crawler carrier. That's not cheap. I was wondering if the purchase of a M929 would be an ok alternative. I can't rent a crawler carrier that rotates 360, so that takes away one big advantage. Its not a rocky access, is relatively flat, open, straight, but narrow. Long distances to back up with either a truck or crawler carrier. So the main concern with the M929 would be wet ground on top. Would most likely never title the truck for street use.

The crawler carrier would probably do less damage to access drive, but would like to save on cost and could end up with a dump out of it.

Thoughts?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Do you need the dump capability or are you going to haul cargo. Any cargo truck would work depending on your mission.
The 900 series has the advantage of an air actuated front axle so you can put in the front axle before you get in the deep doo doo.
Make sure you post pics if you use an MV.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do need to dump. I have military trucks in use on job sites already. Just lax in getting pictures uploaded. I use a M185 (m109) as a mobile office. It's hooked to a generator. Have a drafting table (folds down from wall), a desk, cabinets, couch, couple of chairs, computer, printer, etc. I also use my original deuce from time to time to haul stuff. Am definitely leaning toward the M929 as opposed to the crawler carrier rental. Just need to find one.

Will post pics. I half promise...

castirondude

I recently bought a M925 and it seems to do very well. The super singles with big nobs and the detroit lockers seem to be a good combo. I haven't pushed it yet though. I have some stock tanks that have very muddy clay bottoms, should try it out.. debating whether I should hook up the winch in advance just in case :p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks