• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M929A1 Belt question

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_3969.jpgIMG_3974.jpgWorking on the 929 today and noticed a belt was not on. It is old, frail, and brittle. It was just laying next to pulleys. I put it back on where I think it should go. Seems like it should be for the water pump. We've used this truck a lot and never had a problem with it heating up. You can tell its been off a long time. The pulleys are rusty where it appears to go.

Other problem is that we had a fair amount of grease ooze out of both front hubs on the inside. Is there a boot or something to be checked or just a seal?

See pics and as always, thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The water pump only uses one belt, that is why the other groove is rusty.

The water pump belt replacement is a bear. In a nut shell the water pump housing is round, the pump is eccentric in that housing, think egg shaped. You turn the water pump after loosening the ring around it to adjust the belt on/off. Pump is usually siezed and will leak all the coolant out after the seal is disturbed. Pump will need to be pulled to replace the copper crush gasket. It uses ~~ now hear this, grease to seal it. Craziest thing i have seen in 25 years of automotive aftermarket. Some have been able to rotate the pump without leaking but expect murphy to bite hard :-(

My recommendation is just change the water pump while at it and that will buy you time probably for the life of the truck.

Other tid bit is that the front axle seals are prone to leak besides the boot. The axles leak gear oil, the boot leaks grease. If one leaks into the other they make quite a runny greasy mess.

Unfortunately the water pump and the axle seals are real aua jobs to tackle.

Boots can be solid or zipper. Many thoughts on that and I leave it to you to research and see what is best for your scenario.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks