• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M930 capacity

ace

I'm looking into purchasing a m930 from GL to use as a off road truck. I will be mainly using it to construct farm pond dams. We had a 800 series truck before and, that thing was a beast! It seems like the sides are much shorter on the 939 series dumps and the capacity is listed at 5yds. I was wondering if any of you guys who have actually ran these trucks had any realistic numbers on what they can haul offroad. Thanks in advance!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 939 series dump should be equal to the M809 series dump truck.

Postman515

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I Had an m817 and now have a 929a2 and use it almost daily. They will haul 12-13 of smaller aggregates(sand,dirt,gravel) tons with sideboards. 8-9 tons of rip rap, concrete tear out etc. The beds on the m817 and 929a2 are the same size. The wheelbase is a little longer on the m929. I haul quit a bit off-road and stay around 8-9 tons. 12 tons on-road. I do a lot of concrete tear out and back into deep ditches to dump. The M817 was great off-road with the 5-speed but the brakes aren't near as good as the m929a2 when your backing down to a ditch that would swallow the whole truck. I've thought about getting a m917 but I figured I would just get stuck more. Here's a few pics of my trucks.
m817stuck.jpgm817loaded.jpgm929a2pic2.jpgm929a2loaded.jpg

Postman515

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the 929 weighs a little more so you will lose a little on what what you can legally carry. It really depends what your doing and how much you want to spend. If I was hauling out of a rock quarry and running down paved roads the 929 is hands down better. If I was doing mainly off-road I prefer the 817. Towing a heavy loaded trailer the 929 is the only way to go.

southerndiesels

I'm looking for something reliable that can tow heavy weight with a tag trailer such as heavy excavators for a business. I thought the m817 would be better for towing and more control with the manual transmission, but I realize the brakes are not as good. I just don't know how reliable those automatic transmission are with these loads either, the last thing I want to do is to have spend the money to replace an automatic transmissionaua. Also, I noticed the interior cab panel on the m817 lists max towing at 30,0000 lbs. whereas the m929 panel lists max towing at 15,000 lbs.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking for something reliable that can tow heavy weight with a tag trailer such as heavy excavators for a business. I thought the m817 would be better for towing and more control with the manual transmission, but I realize the brakes are not as good. I just don't know how reliable those automatic transmission are with these loads either, the last thing I want to do is to have spend the money to replace an automatic transmissionaua. Also, I noticed the interior cab panel on the m817 lists max towing at 30,0000 lbs. whereas the m929 panel lists max towing at 15,000 lbs.
I don't think you will be happy trying to tow a excavator with a 250 cummins or a 8.3 cummins neither have the power needed. Get a M916 or M920 and put a box on it.

Postman515

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can't hardly pull a loaded trailer with the 817 with the 1000rpm drop from 3rd to 4th gear. My 929a2 pulls my tag trailer and my 18 ton excavator a lot better but I don't have any mountains here.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
You wont be happy at all moving equipment with either trucks.They are way underpowered for that.I have tried it all with these trucks.I just moved up to a m916a1 to haul my equipment.Very happy with it.

southerndiesels

Thanks guys. A M917 would be ideal as the company does need a dump truck, but unfortunately the M917 and/or a tractor+trailer are not really in the company's budget right now. We will probably have to deal with the M929A2 until the money is there. We don't have mountains here either, just some moderate hills.

Not sure what your companies budget is but there's a dealer in Colorado offering atleast one M917 for $26,500. Judging from what alot of these M929 and M930's are bringing at auction, it might be worth it to
hold out for the M917. Alot more truck, alot more power, engine brake, more capacity. Something to think about!