• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931 DOT Inspection questions.

Mercuno

I just bought a m931a2 2001 model. I finally got it insured as a flatbed truck liability only not expensive but stressful. I had to convince them the only way they would get money from me out of this truck would be to inspect it so I can title it properly after getting the inspection which needed insurance.

Then on to 3 different inspection stations and the local ford dealer to try and get it inspected. Either didnt want to touch it or didnt know what to do. I was told by the dmv that all I had to do was get a "safety inspection'' and tell them the tonnage(which I assume is the gcwr with a load. So that would lead to a dot inspection???

Texas truck by the way. If I go by just the weight of the truck 20,100 I wont need cdl just airbrake endorsement? but other than that I will need full blown cdl (Guess its time I got ne anyhow)

Was actually planning on making it into a welding / tool rig / mud hauler for the trailers at our remote and often muddy job locations.

So does anyone in texas have any knowledge of what I need to do to get it inspected and legal so I can title it, change insurance if I have to , cdl if I have to .

Pulling my hair out. I was told I have to put headlights at 54'' from ground so a drop of around 10'' and marker lights all down the sides red on rear and amber on front????
got mudflaps on it
everything functions fine
dont know what else to do.

Thanks for any help or thread links

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For your truck, you need to bring it to a DOT inspection station, not one for cars and pickups. You will also need to apply for a TXDMV number and a USDOT number for the truck. If you convert the tractor to a flatbed, you will need Texas Truck plates for the GVW of a 5 ton, which is empty wt plus 20,000 lbs.

For the driver, he/she will need a CDL-B.

It's a little painful but nothing compared to being stopped by CMV enforcement and not having your ducks in a row.

Mercuno

I hear that and understand it. Just excited is all. Heck,even with all this, I want two more lol. So I guess I'm going to go full on commercial with this.

What about the lights etc where are the regs regarding our trucks?

Csm Davis

Pretty sure that you won't be required to move the headlights as that is where they were as built. Might check on that, but if you are forced to change them because of you using it commercially, try flipping the panels the lights mount on. Might have to move them side to side, not sure on the 939 series.

Csm Davis

Okay you are going to need to make up your mind if you are going to use this truck for business or mudding it will break you trying to keep up with the maintenance of mudding then going to be DOT legal on Monday not just your bank account but your back account also. DOT Doesn't like dirty trucks. If you want to just play register it as a former military vehicle.

Mercuno

Well the business side of it was why the purchase was made. It must get to the site empty, (loaded with tools and welder on the flatbed we built). Then hook to our trailers with building components and or scissor lifts Skytraks etc etc and get them through and around mud/rough terrain.
I in no way got it to abuse it but it will be put to work.
I just would rather be prepared and knowledgeable to replace fix do and have what I will need to legally drive it down the road and this site has so much information and so many helpful members it is hard to take it all in. I am glad I found this site and thank you all.

Csm Davis

Okay cool there going to be the Hard DOT officers but with a little explanation most will back off about the muddy truck. But fair warning the dirt will show leaks. Love to hear you will be working the trucks, show us pictures!