• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931 fuel problems

Carlo

Do you have a 900 series or a 931? I see your M35 photo. I just traded for a M35 from a collector in Holland and I must go up there and pick it up this week (hopefully). I can I send you a photo of my M35 ? Im new to this site and its already helped me !

Attachments

Carlo

Last night I removed the fuel pump from the back of the ijector pump. Spinning by my fingers I can feel some suction but I wanted to try it with some speed as with a drill. I have no drill at home but I do at the shop. Now just before leaving for home this evening I tried it with the drill. It holds my thumb to the inlet hole but it does not suck it in like a vacume cleaner! Im sure there are specs to in how much PSI but that means taking it to a pump shop and paying. Im hoping its enough and the filter on top is pluged.
Let you know tomorrow!

Carlo

Wow your 923 looks great! I want to convert my 931 to a cargo bed of a M54. I have not begun measuring but Ive been told it will fit if I relocate the 931 spare tire and etc.
923s are hard to come by in europe. 931s are easy to find and cheap. Parts are very easy also.

My problem is I have a few trucks and Im trying to fix all at once. My budjet is very limited and my collection must fund it self with out taking money from my faimly.

Stein12501

You also have very nice vehicles. I'm in the same spot these trucks are a hobby and expensive to operate. Shop prices are almost out of the question. So we do what we can with the money and skills that we have. And love every minute of it.

Carlo

Sounds like we are in the same boat!

Bad news from last night. The mini filter is "new" and I forgot to mention the motor is a 50 hour new goverment rebuild. The rebuild and check the motor but I dont think they check the fuel lines. EVERYONE on this site are pointing out the fuel lines and selector tank valve . I did think I checked them over "good" but now Im going to check them again. I cant do this at the house so Im bringing it down to my shop this afternoon or tomorrow.
Im starting (as per info from another site member) from the pump back. Fix a temp fuel source close to the pump. If she runs ok its on from there to the tank selector and hoses before the valve. If no leaks that valves to tank hoses.
You are right. Its like playing a game. I make a move and she makes hers!!
Stein I love my M931 and M35 but my MAN KAT after 3 years owning her can still make me smile. The truck is from the height of the cold war (1977). The high tech stuff she has scares me like a central winch that can be used to pull from the front or rear in minutes, Air cool Deutz dsl (V8), no radiator, no water pump, no water hoses. Its cut back to 210hp but they can be turned up to 400 I have been told. Enough is enough or I will go on and on and Ive got to do some work today or the wife will let me hear it!
I sent a photo of my Man, Iveco-Magirus, and a 3 axle cargo trailer.
Thanks and keep you posted!

Attachments

Stein12501

Carlo sorry that did not work for you. It's easier to check the filters first then move to the lines. The Cummins are bad about fuel line leaks. Mine was rebuilt in 2010 and the motor had 14 hours on it. I've had to do alot of work to get it running (electrical). But everytime I go to the shop I'm glad I have it. Your Man Kat is awesome, it's amazing that the engine is air cooled and can be turned up to 400 HP. Please keep me posted on your progress and I hope the best on finding your problem. You have a wonderful collection and will be able to pass down a valuable piece of history. Best Wishes

Carlo

Hey there!

Its hard keeping this many units and also keep my wife happy. She keeps sying what do you need all these for? People in the close village call it a army post! And Im sure they call me many other things also.

Man Kat can be had in 4x4, 6x6, and 8x8. It took me YEARS to find mine at the money I had. Shes got 3,000 kms on the clock and I have done NOTHING but batteries in 3 years.

Im going home early tonight to try the direct 2 littler bottle of dsl to see if it runs right. The if that cks Im going to try the line to the filter and on and on to I find the problem. I will find it tonight!
I am finally joining a military equipment owners club this month and Im taking that truck to the meeting if I have to drag it! haha
Let you know tomorrow Stein.

Stein12501

Carlo we share the same problems. Wife loves me but not sure why I buy them. The neighbors wonder what I'm up too and I love to keep them guessing. I'm sure everyone on this site shares the same problem. My 923 needed to be jumped when I bought it. I bought it home and batteries where shot. I replaced them and 2 days later new batteries were shot. Finally found a relay in the PCM box was bad. Replaced it and no more problems. Had to pull the oil pump and free up the bypass valve and that fixed the oil pressure problem. Just part of owning these beasts. Sounds like you have a good plan, I would run the new hose back to the tank if the tank was clean so I would not run out of fuel, prime it and see what happens. I know you will figure out the problem that is what we do. I love your Man Kat and the trailers are great. Sorry for the long winded post.

Carlo

Well I drove it to work this morning and even took the kids to school first. Its not 100% fixed but its better. Im on the right road.
I tried the 2 liter bottle thing and it ran good. I tried the first hose to the filter and it leaked a little at the fitting. Fixed with teflon tape. I also note the primer pump leaking just a tiny bit so I ordered a new one from a Holland dealer. These darn "petcock" valves (I hope thats what you call them) are giving me problems. You think they are closed and they are not. Small leakes here. Small leaks there. They add up.
Today I have a little time and Im checking each tube one by one!
BUT it was FUN this morning. She drives sooooo sweet. You can use one finger to turn it but in hair pin turns I must make 2 to 3 moves to get around. She does not turn so tight but thats ok. (I love in the mountains andits full of tight turns getting down to my shop).
WOW your motor is clean and cummins color looks so right. My was a Euro rebild and they are painted black. You truck looks new. I wish I could have found a 923 with the bed but they are not to be found here.
Have a good day and talk to you later!

Bolkbich

The petcocks in the fuel line should be eliminated. They dont seal perfectly tight. Ive had 2 petcocks on 2 different trucks give me problems. They wouldnt leak but they dont stay perfectly clean and dry, so over a week or 2 of sitting they let air in the system (even the slightest bit of fuel drain back makes them lazy starting/running) and cause starting/ running problems.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks