• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931 Oil in water

jonsm114

M931, overhauled 08, 600 miles post overhaul. Runs great. Checking fluids today. Trans oil good, engine oil good, removed cap from recovery tank and I see oil. Drained tank and there is allot of oil there. Disconnect oil cooler hose and nice, clean antifreeze drains out.

I had idled the truck within an hour of checking fluids. Cleaned recovery tank.

Am I looking at a bad oil cooler? the crankcase oil looks normal as well as the transmission. All levels good.

Any suggestions?

Jon

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Maybe some dumdum added oil there instead of coolant. If there's no oil anywhere else in the cooling system. And no coolant in the oil. I would drain and flush the cooling system and then change the oil and go from there.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe some dumdum added oil there instead of coolant. If there's no oil anywhere else in the cooling system. And no coolant in the oil. I would drain and flush the cooling system and then change the oil and go from there.
Copy that, oil in water is cheaper to fix that water in oil. Drain it all as precautionary and really make sure there in no water in the bottom of the oil pan. Perfect time to install spin on oil filter adapter, I have them listed in classified.

jonsm114

Thanks Gentleman...someone told me that someone adding oil there was a real possibility. I will drain the oil and coolant tomorrow. IF there is coolant in the bottom of the pan I will be VERY surprised...as water in oil is pretty obvious...

Thanks again.....

Jon

jonsm114

M931 Oil in Water

Update...Yes...the cooler is now apart.....the o rings were hard and stiff.....so, gaskets, rings and crush rings on order. A note to all, the tubes in the cooler were full of rust fragments. Looks like iron scaling...small bits. There were larger pieces in the cooler cavity.

I cleared all the tubes and cleaned her up. The cooler goes back together tomorrow.

I drained the radiator prior to starting work. Crankcase in negative for coolant.

going to flush cooling system when the cooler goes back in....drain and refill with antifreeze.

Will post results tomorrow..fingers crossed.

I also ran the block number with Cummins 1985 MFG overhauled 7-8-08 and new engine data-plate installed at rebuild. This engine had 600 miles total post overhaul.

Jon

Last edited:

jonsm114

My local Cummins dealer was very helpful. They dont stock these parts for the cooler but they had them for me in less than a day. Tomorrow the install....fingers crossed.....

Planning on flushing system with clean water to operating temp and drain.

Jon

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any particular brand/type that is suggested? I will be doing my coolant at some point in the near future (just to make sure that it has been done,) as well as install a block heater for Winter. That would be the perfect time to install one of those.

They are all good-Luberfiner, WIX same as NAPA, baldwin, donaldson. Only brand I can not endorse and will not use is Fram.
It just take a spin on base and your favorite coolant filter. They typically are universal. I use what I can find on Ebay cheap and close out. I like the qt or larger spin on with the DCA chemical in the filter. I just picked up LuberFiner LFW4744 for $8 each. Typically with chemical they run $25-$30 in this size.
They come precharged with different units (qty) of chemical.

Typical Napa #'s 4071,4072,4073,4074

Check my build thread Major Zippidy on my install.

sweetk30

where is the best place to install the coolant filter on a a2 with 8.3 ?

got to do some work on one and I have a few extra remote filter body mounts from some engine I scrapped .

AND FOR ORIGNAL POSTER : basic blue dawn dish soap is a good cleaner to remove oil . try that in the tank and see if it cleans it out for ya .

JohnnyBM931A2

They are all good-Luberfiner, WIX same as NAPA, baldwin, donaldson. Only brand I can not endorse and will not use is Fram.
It just take a spin on base and your favorite coolant filter. They typically are universal. I use what I can find on Ebay cheap and close out. I like the qt or larger spin on with the DCA chemical in the filter. I just picked up LuberFiner LFW4744 for $8 each. Typically with chemical they run $25-$30 in this size.
They come precharged with different units (qty) of chemical.

Typical Napa #'s 4071,4072,4073,4074

Check my build thread Major Zippidy on my install.
Thank you :)

jonsm114

Thanks everyone...she is back, up and running....flushed 3 times.....good to go. Added a touch of liquid dishwasher soap......cascade ....cleaned her right up....

Jon

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you got her going. I was working on my friends truck this week and found the same thing "oil in the coolant". So I guess I will start will the oil cooler.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks