• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931 to Civ. Lowboy wiring

D6c

I've got a lowboy trailer that I'm fixing up and thought I had the wiring worked out but now I'm not sure.

The trailer is older and is wired using only 4-wire cable with the frame acting as ground.
It's wired: Brown- Tail/Marker
Red- Stop
Green- Rt Turn
Yellow- Lt Turn
It has four rear lights, two acting as turn & two acting as brake, with all four as tail lights

After checking the output from the truck cable I find that the M931 uses
1 pin for tail lights
1 pin for Rt turn & Rt Brake
1 pin for Lt turn & Lt brake, with the flasher apparently creating the turn flash even when the brake is held down.

The trailer has all multi-volt lights so I was planning on adding a 12-pin socket to the trailer so that I can pull it with either civilian or military trucks without changing anything.

Two questions:
1) Is the trailer wired ok to work with civilian trucks? (don't have a truck handy to test it)

2) Is there a way to wire the 12-pin trailer socket to get it to work with the M931?

Hopefully there is a solution that doesn't involve completely wiring the trailer.

Thanks in advance

The HUlk

I'm thinkng you can connect it like this...

Truck running light pin to trailer Brown

Truck right turn/right brake pin to trailer Green

Truck left turn/left brake to trailer Yellow

Trailer Red not used.

Bandit02

I run all 24V LED lights on my trailers

There is also a hot wire you can run to blue/aux pin that is ignition controlled for civvy ABS (if the ABS ecm is 24v) from the military wiring to a standard 7 pin connector. I cut the military truck side female plug off and installed a civvy 7 pin for my trailers. I use only 4 wires to power just like you mentioned,

Last edited:

D6c

I'm thinkng you can connect it like this...

Truck running light pin to trailer Brown

Truck right turn/right brake pin to trailer Green

Truck left turn/left brake to trailer Yellow

Trailer Red not used.
Looks like that's going to work. The lights will work differently between Military and Civ trucks but I don't think it will matter.
On the M931 the outside 2 lights will be stop, turn, & tail and the inside 2 will be just tail lights.

When hooked to a civ. truck the outside 2 will be tail/turn and the inside 2 will be tail/stop.

Since I have a mil. trailer socket on hand I think I'll just splice into the cable and mount it as a second connector next to the civ. nose box. It's an older trailer so I don't have to worry about power for any ABS

As long as the DOT is ok with this arrangement I should be good to go.

D6c

Civvy trailer red wire is brake.
I will be using the red wire for brake on the Civ. plug, but since the brake & turn are combined on the Mil. plug I won't need to use the red wire on the mil 12-pin receptacle.

Got the wiring finished up.....looks like it will work well having two trailer receptacles. I thought about just making up an adapter plug but decided against it. This way any truck can hook up to the trailer without having to have a special cable or adapter.

Thanks for the help

The HUlk

I will be using the red wire for brake on the Civ. plug, but since the brake & turn are combined on the Mil. plug I won't need to use the red wire on the mil 12-pin receptacle.

Got the wiring finished up.....looks like it will work well having two trailer receptacles. I thought about just making up an adapter plug but decided against it. This way any truck can hook up to the trailer without having to have a special cable or adapter.

Thanks for the help
Glad it worked out for yah.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks