• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931 transmission swap questions

ClintA

So here we go, have some questions for all you transmission gooroo's. The 6 bolts that hold the flex plate on the engine came loose and let the torque converter eat its way into the transmission and messed up the seal on the output shaft. I did not know all of this at the time, I just thought that the trans was going out on me. It would puke oil out and would not go forward nor backward. Having a trans from Kansas (AKA the goody hole) I thought I would just install it and life would go on. The Kansas trans did not come with a Torque converter so I thought I would just install the old one after changing oil in it. All went as planed until it was time to replace the seal, the seal out of the original transmission was a lot smaller than the one from Kansas. The Model # on the original one that came on the M931 is MT654 and the Kansas one is Model # MT654CR.

So where would one go about getting a torque converter to fit my Kansas trans?

Has anyone came across this problem before me?

Thanks in advance, Clint

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't you have to get one with the transmission. The 8.3 converter won't work in the 250 and vise versa.
You cannot buy a new converter they do not make them anymore.
You can have one taken apart and rebuilt.
I had one gone through there were no bad parts in it but needed cleaning due to transmission burn out cost 150.00 you need the converter for that transmission.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a 8.3 then you need that transmission and converter because from what I was told the power band is different between the 8.3 and the 250

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
They should both be a CR transmission. Overall though they are the same case. only an internal difference. Should be a 3.881" OD on the seal. It is the same for ALL 600 series transmissions.

Dacco Detroit in Cookeville, TN would be the transmission people. Or I can send you a torque convertor from my recent take out. It would need to be opened up and flushed though and atleast tested. It is for an NHC250.

Only crap thing about the torque convertors is that you have to stand the transmission up on its tailshaft to get the torque convertor to seat the 3 times. It is retarded.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you have a 8.3 then you need that transmission and converter because from what I was told the power band is different between the 8.3 and the 250
It is just a ratio difference. There are about 7 different ratios for the 654 torque convertors.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't have to stand mine up.
Lifted that heavy sob up put in and turned it until it went in then took measurement to make sure it had seated. Also took the whole front plate off my burned out tranny and put on new one because I didn't have a new seal and knew my seal wasn't leaking.

ClintA

I think I will try swapping the front plates, that will be the quickest and cheapest. All I will have to do is file down where the torque converter rubbed a ridge where the oil seal sits. Thanks for the idea!!!

Josh

I had the same issue with my truck. The flex plate bolts backed off and snapped. I ended up just buying a reman in a can from a member here for 1500 bucks. I have no idea idea if it was for a 250 or an 8.3, but it worked fine. I tried to do the cheap take out route and ended up swaping my transmission twice in a two week period. I did on it an M925. Had to deal with all the winch/PTO stuff that adds more time than one would expect.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks