• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931a2. Wheel locks up and clunking with binding

Jericho

Some of you May remember my last post on this problem. My truck sat for a year during covid and a series of surgeries. Went to move it. Appeared brake wedges were stuck. ( not unusual ) Beat on the hubs. All four were stuck. Got all free except one. Dropped it into low and pulled tire along. Finally broke loose. But would bind and seize after about ten feet. Long story short. Changed a few items. Finely just slammed hammer down and powered thru bind Brakes appear normal Suspected a broken brake shoe spring or shoe in rearmost passenger side brake. It was the only one still binding. You can feel the binding snd clunk as you pull forward and back. Pulled the hub. Nothing appears abnormal. So putting hub and tire back in.
Has anyone ever damaged the rear top loader diff gear assembly getting tires un locked ? In my wildest imagination. I would have thought the axle drive shaft splines would have been the weak link Cleaned them right off. Long before I would have broke a top loader diff on a 5 ton. Will pull the inspection covers. It’s in NH. And we are moving out west. No time left to change a top loader. Even though I have a spare. Thinking I’ll just pull the rearmost drive shaft snd axle drive shafts to load and unload it on a flat bed Any thoughts ? Insight? This is the holy grail of knowledge.

Jericho

Well. My m931 A2 is at last fixed. The rear most axle top loader diff was destroyed. It was impossible to see the damage until I pulled the assembly. You couldn’t see it thru the inspection covers. Too make it more confusing. Sometimes it would rotate fine for hundreds of feet before it locked up again. No bits and pieces in the diff oil. But. All changed sll serviced. Done. Only took 2 years with one heart attack. Two winters in AZ. And surgery to repair a 15 inch hernia. ( don’t ever get the mesh. Has been nothing but trouble. Don’t believe the doctors who say it completely safe and painless. ). Many thanks to the brain trust here that va was very helpful. I think it’s the first top loader destroyed while trying to “ bump” a stuck wedge brake More to come. I’ve been absent here for quite awhile as I also built a 35 x 55x30 high Quonset hut shop and am still moving from NH to AZ. New log cabin. New 47 acres to develop. Now to get my trucks here and situated And completed all this inbetween medical issues. May be my last big project.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks