• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M934A2 with 6CTA 8.3L Turbo Diesel will not run

TexanOnTheMove

I have a 1992 M934A2 5 Ton 6X6 expansible van with the 6CTA 8.3L Cummins Turbo diesel. When I bought the truck, it would fire up and run like a champ each and every time I would start it. Now all of a sudden, all it will do is turn over, but not stay running. I've already replaced the fuel pickup pump and tried bleeding it, but I can't seam to get it to pick up full from the tank. I can get it running for short periods on either, hoping it would prime itself, but it won't stay running. I've tried bleeding the system up to the fuel injector pump, but all it does is drain the fuel from the fuel filter and doesn't draw from the fuel pump. Any ideas on my next course of action?

Thanks,
TexanOnTheMove

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure the fuel cutoff solenoid is fully retracting. Try zip tying it back or even removing it then give it a crank. If it's losing prime then try pressure bleeding the system and look for wet spots. More than half the A2s I've had in my hands had rotten rubber lines.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Try replacing the rubber fuel line that goes from the primer pump to fuel filter canister.They crack and suck air.

Monkeyboyarmy

Rumor is that the pick up tubes in the tanks fail also. My wrecker was running great and one day it quit. Couldn't get fuel up the the pump. Transfered the fuel to the other tank and fired right up. I haven't pulled the other tank apart yet but suspect the pick up tube.

infidel got me

Run a hose before the lift pump and manually prime it.(FROM THE INLET SIDE OF THE LIFT PUMP INTO A CAN OF DIESEL FUEL) If it runs- then you just eliminated half the fuel system. Good luck!

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Did you loosen the bleeder screw top back of the ip towards the front 2 turns should do it. Then press the primer pump a 100 times or so. You can also air prime if you have an extra fuel cap you can drill a hole and put a schrader valve stem in.

74M35A2

All points mentioned above are very strong candidates from having them happen. Another possibility is that your PCB is on its way out. Check and see if the lights on your CTIS module are lit up after you release the starter switch back to the run position. If not, then your PCB or an input to it is not behaving (oil pressure or alternator rotation signal, I think). This would de-activate the fuel cut solenoid and stop the engine after a start (if it does start in the crank position). Mine is doing this occasionally now, so I know it needs work (new solenoids).One member also had the connection from the fuel stop cam to the IP pump strip out, and he was unable to shut his truck off due to it, I think it is spring loaded into the run position, but yet another thing to check.

TexanOnTheMove

My CTIS lights all started flashing a couple months before my truck failed to run. I checked for air leaks, but couldn't find any. Anytime I drove my truck, all of the CTIS lights would start flashing almost immediately and would not stop. Could this mean my PCB is going out?

Thanks

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Does just hwy flash and it do an initial pressure check once air builds to around 120psi then flash? Or do all 5 flash from initial power on?

TexanOnTheMove

Success! The rubber fuel line going from the water separator to the lift pump was dry rotted and leaking. I didn't noticed it at first. Had another one fabbed up at Ace hardware, installed it, bleed and primed the IP and the truck started right up!

Thanks everyone for the troubleshooting ideas!

Now I have to figure out why all the CTIS lights are flashing.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Check the rear wheel valves they are mounted on a stem coming out of the hub it's a friction fit and from driving centrifugal motion causes them to slip up and fill air will leak. It's hard to see unless you are right down there and get your hands on the valve.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks