• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 5 ton wrecker for scrap metal use?

ichudov

I often do scrap metal projects.

All last week, we had to work pretty hard, at an old stone factory, removing 12+ ton cast iron stone planers. That place had so much stone dust that floor was completely impassable for my regular forklifts. We were lucky that they had adequate bridge cranes. And even with that, one of those planers may be very hard to get due to its location.

And I realized that if I owned a M936 wrecker, my job would be a lot easier. I could ALSO take on scrap projects that others cannot touch. Additionally, since I own a beavertail low boy semi trailer, I can transport the wrecker on the trailer on public roads, and avoid the expense of registering and insuring this wrecker. Just deliver it to worksite, get the work done, and take it home on the truck.

I wanted to touch base with any M936 owners, to see if this makes sense.

Attachments

Last edited:

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A wrecker would be helpful. However, they are only rated for 20k. That's with the crowd all the way in, and using the boom supports.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
As long as you stay within the limitations you will be fine. Military wreckers were used more for the crane than for towing for the most part. The last thing you want to do is warp the boom..,...very pricey mistake.

ichudov

As long as you stay within the limitations you will be fine. Military wreckers were used more for the crane than for towing for the most part. The last thing you want to do is warp the boom..,...very pricey mistake.
Thanks! To me, both the boom, as well as the winches, are very valuable. I have a couple of questions.

1. Is the 20,000 lbs the hard limit? Meaning what will happen if I try to lift 21000 lbs? Is the crane hydraulically limited with a relief valve or some such?

2. How much of the capacity do I lose if I start extending the crane, is there a formula on the wrecker that I can use?

3. How high does the boom go?

4. Does the wrecker display the actual weight that it is lifting?

You see, in scrap metal, you always push everything to the limit. Plus you do not know the weight, other than past experience with scrap scales. I am good at eyeballing some things, but not others.

thanks Wreckerman!

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're better off with a Taylor Big Red forklift. Stab it and have it loaded before you could get the PTO engaged on the wrecker.

ichudov

You're better off with a Taylor Big Red forklift. Stab it and have it loaded before you could get the PTO engaged on the wrecker.
I already have two 15,000 lbs forklifts. But there are places where they cannot go, or heights they cannot reach, soft ground, uneven terrain, etc. And in those places a wrecker would have been ideal, this is my current thinking. I can see how a wrecker could pay for itself in just a couple of jobs that others cannot do.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At full extension, I believe the boom can lift 4,500 pounds. I, for one, don't think it is going to be as useful as you think. In order to be able to get the full lifting capacity, you have the have the boom fully retracted, with the legs secured to the back of the truck and to the boom (this latter point means that you CANNOT swing the boom). So, you'd be able to lift 20K pounds, but you'd have to back the trailer under the load. You are best off seeing if there is someone in your area who would bring his/her wrecker to your site to play with it (or for a small amount of money to help). These are cool trucks, and are very useful when used within their original design parameters. Those parameters don't sound like they match with what you want to do (at least to me).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With only 18' of stick, you need to get pretty close. While a practical tool, it may be underrated for the task. Maybe consider a surplus rough terrain forklift?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had a M936 and I also have a 14ton RT crane. The crane is much more useful and and didn't cost much more.

For the military wrecker to lift 20K you have to have the boom jacks installed. That means you can only lift straight up and down (no swinging).

You've also got to figure that when you start going and doing commercial jobs you'll have to bring that wrecker up to OSHA standards, get your crane certification, and insurance. I don't know if you'd ever be able to load enough scrap to make it pay for itself.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks! To me, both the boom, as well as the winches, are very valuable. I have a couple of questions.

1. Is the 20,000 lbs the hard limit? Meaning what will happen if I try to lift 21000 lbs? Is the crane hydraulically limited with a relief valve or some such?

2. How much of the capacity do I lose if I start extending the crane, is there a formula on the wrecker that I can use?

3. How high does the boom go?

4. Does the wrecker display the actual weight that it is lifting?
1. If you're lucky, the hyd will just stall. If your'e unlucky, stuff breaks and worse.

2. It's covered in the TM's. Full extend and you're down to like 4K lbs as memory serves.

3. Depends on the model wrecker. Some variants had manual extensions that allowed for longer reaches.

4. No.

6x6guy

Have you considered installing a jane crane on 6x6 truck ulitizing the winch - resupporting the front frame with a support stand off and keeping the down pressure off the springs and front axle- lifting the load then placing a trailer or truck underneath it.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The gin poles work well enough but I don't think they'd work for the weights the OP is talking about.

Csm Davis

As a wrecker owner and someone who scraps a fair amount I would say go for it you will like it but it will not pick up as much as you would think about 4 tons is the most you can swing

jhooah

Remember you have to manually pull out the ooutriggers and set them up on these beasts. They get heavy when doing it by yourself, then screwing each one down and back in, etc. is a pain. The smaller rough terrain (8ton?) crane which the military just did away with is usually available out there and has hydraulics to set it up. By all means get a wrecker if you want, the M543 I have is very useful if not limited in reach.
V/R W. Winget

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An old rough terrain crane would be ideal. I picked up one a little over a year ago......spent most weekends working on it to bring it back up to spec. They can be had cheap (i.e. on the verge of going to the scrapper like mine), but they can lift 30k without the boom extended, 3k at 60 ft. It has 4 wheel steer, 4 wheel drive.....and lots of steel (mine weighs about 41k). Look at the old Galion or Grove's.....the military 8 ton would be spot on for what you're doing.

Boom Extended.jpg

5a.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks