• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 A2 transfer case problem

War Time Finds

My M931A2 trys to kill the running motor if I move my transfer case lever from high to low then put the Allison trans in gear, if I play with the transfer case lever, up and down for a few minutes and then go into reverse, it does' not stall and I can then go forward. It does this several times, killing the motor each time till I get the lever in the correct spot to by pass????. It's like something in the transfer case lever tells the transmission to by pass the torque converter and kills the motor.

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

My M931A2 trys to kill the running motor if I move my transfer case lever from high to low then put the Allison trans in gear, if I play with the transfer case lever, up and down for a few minutes and then go into reverse, it does' not stall and I can then go forward. It does this several times, killing the motor each time till I get the lever in the correct spot to by pass????. It's like something in the transfer case lever tells the transmission to by pass the torque converter and kills the motor.
Seems to be normal, mine does this also. Usually it isn't fully in high or low, after the jerk I can get it the rest of the way in. Also lube the small silver button on the end of the high/low lever. It can cause issues or so I'm told if it's not popping out like it should. Just a squirt of oil around the sides and press it in several times.

Csm Davis

OK guy's here's the thing the transfer case shifter should move easily from high to low easily if it is adjusted and lubricated properly. If you are having trouble shifting it, start looking for a problem.

engineer233

Unhook the pto linkage at the transfer case pto to see if the pto shift lever will come back down. Sounds like to me the pto is stuck engaged.

Csm Davis

Unhook the pto linkage at the transfer case pto to see if the pto shift lever will come back down. Sounds like to me the pto is stuck engaged.
Who or which post is this in response to? The hard shifting transfer case is common across the 939 series not just the 936 and is generally because of the interlock switch or piston not functioning properly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks