• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 battery setup for pickup?

Augdog1964

Hey all,

Well just got my EUC approved, heading to Lansing next week to get my M936.

Can you tell me what size batteries I'm going to need, and what length the parallel cable should be to tie the batteries for 24V together?

Going to take a couple 5 gal cans of diesel, and some rotella T for oil in case she is low... anything else that could be useful?

Thanks!

jasonjc

The -10 so you know what you are doing with the truck. Coolant ,grear oil,spary lube, air hose with chuck, tools. And most inportant CAN you drive trucks off that base? I've seen on here and posted on GL that alot of bases are tow off only. NO DRIVE OFF. I don't know about Lansing. Just some ideas of the top of my head. Hope all goes well for you.

Oh one more thing PIC'S lot of pic's:beer:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The batteries are four military 6LT. Almost square in shape. I found them at Interstate battery center. Here in New Orleans, i was quoted $150 with exchange.

Many have used group 31 commercial with posts (they are higher than the 6lt. You might be able to get away with 2 but your cold weather might need 4 ) and I have seen someone use 4 group 65 ( Ford and Dodge truck pick up) batteries as they are short like the 6 lt but do not fit the dimensions of the hold down racks.

I strongly advise a universal power twist v belt. Google it. Well worth the money if you have the NHC 250 Cummings. The water pump belt is a pia and a very bad design and will leave you stranded. It is not a road side repair. Ask me how I know? All other belts are straight forward and easily changed

I believe a2 use a serpentine belt as they have a different engine and not the same issue. I believe the a1 are still NHC250.

If the base will allow, starting fluid is handy if the truck sat up quite some time like mine did. Red River did not allow but Polk did not check.

Assume truck has nothing and bring fire extinguisher, ear protection, and safety flares. Ask me how I know?.

Best of luck and a speedy recovery!

indy4x4fab

Banned
Hey all,

Well just got my EUC approved, heading to Lansing next week to get my M936.

Can you tell me what size batteries I'm going to need, and what length the parallel cable should be to tie the batteries for 24V together?

Going to take a couple 5 gal cans of diesel, and some rotella T for oil in case she is low... anything else that could be useful?

Thanks!
If you run in to trouble next weekend on the way home, give me a call I'll be in anderson working on the 818, I'll bring the 818 and tow bar, you pay the fuel

M1075

If you run in to trouble next weekend on the way home, give me a call I'll be in anderson working on the 818, I'll bring the 818 and tow bar, you pay the fuel
I wouldn't try to flat tow a M936 with a M818. That is asking for trouble and the tail will wag the dog. In a pinch, at very low speeds, and short distance (like to the next exit) it would be a okay.

Bighurt

My M925 currently has two cheap Walmart batteries, not the tiny ones but not truck batteries. So long as it isn't freezing they work fine. Bought them to get the truck home. Not perfered but I couldn't exactly find 6LT's out of the blue and I don't run them in my trucks.

Like you said you just need 24 volts. These trucks are pretty durable otherwise.

Coolant is a must have mine leaks, and if the axles look nasty you might have a seal leak justifing the need to check those before you roll.

Granted PMCS is a must but your limited to what you can do on the lot, which is why everyone always recommends a tow or low-boy haul. When your talking a 36k lb truck it's vital to others you have a safe trip. Which brings up brakes, mine worked on the M925 no leaks and they looked in check. However so did the M915's and they needed service before she made it home.

Best of luck and take pictures.

Augdog1964

Power twist v belt

I strongly advise a universal power twist v belt. Google it. Well worth the money if you have the NHC 250 Cummings. The water pump belt is a pia and a very bad design and will leave you stranded. It is not a road side repair. Ask me how I know? All other belts are straight forward and easily changed

Hey thanks for the input...

I googled the belts for the cummins and see that the belts are 3/4"... I can only find the powertwist in 1/2"... will it work in a pinch?

that belt is awesome and would be quite a timesaver!

Thanks all! Keep the suggestions coming!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are correct the belt is wide 3/4 maybe even 7/8. I ended up using one off ebay that was nos original and it was a hair wider than the napa one it crossed over from. I would say the emergency belt would fit lower in the pulley but still have traction as it is a v pulley. great thing is you can adjust the links to make it do whatever you need. It just needs to get you home not permanent. :???:

BiffJ

What are these trucks using for brake fluid. I know a lot of military stuff around airfields uses 5606 or 83282 hydraulic fluid. I'm guessing some of the trucks are using DOT 5 type brake fluid? Since there is such a difference in the fluid and the wrong one will kill the system it would help to know what we need if anyone knows. Having spent a bit of time with a Civil Air Patrol unit taking care of their planes and vehicles as well as helping out a friend who worked ground power at the base it seems there is a wide variety of fluids used.
We'll be taking a good tool box with wrenches, hammers, sockets etc. Any specialty tools required on these? Air compressor and generator are on the list along with air hose, air chucks and grinders, air wrenches etc.
All your help is greatly appreciated.

Frank (who is helping Augdog 1964 with the move)

BiffJ

Ah yes.....the old airbrake trick. I suppose I knew that but for some reason got a little overexcited. . .though of course air is a fluid.

Frank

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suggest tags and insurance if you are driving it home. I don't think anyone suggested that yet. Good luck with the recovery!

Augdog1964

M936 Home

Hey all!

Thanks for all your help and input... we made it up to Lansing about 10:15, saw the truck, checked fluids, got a jump, and she started right up. Drove home couple hundred miles... and she ran like a champ. THIS THING WAS FULL OF STUFF, even had a radio antenna, 3 hammers, HUGE bottle jack, massive chains, tire chains, tow bar, and lots of rigging pulleys etc. Tom up in Lansing was a great help too...

Got her home and checked systems... only two things... middle boom spot light doesn't light (bulb?), and we can't seem to get her in low range? We're reading the book to see if we're not doing something right...

Thanks again... NOW to find some single rims to move up to super singles....

Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks