• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 front axle seal change

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When we picked up the M936 at Barstow the front axle on the right side started leaking on the way home (320 miles).
I got around to working on it and here is the story.

Pulled the hub off and noticed the bearings had rust all over them and were about to come apart, I am sure of that.:doh:
Then I noticed the boot was not locked in with the ring and had water in it.

When I took the bolts off the bottom of the king pin housing and water came out and smelled bad. 2nd :doh:

I got things cleaned up and ordered new bearings. Pulled the axle seal housing out. That was a job!!! Next time I will just replace the seal and not pull the housing.

Tried to put in the new seal housing in but I could not get it to start in the axle. So I made a tool to help to get it started and press in the new seal.

Put the boot back on and installed the spindle ( used lots of grease!!)

Installed the new bearings in the hub and installed the axle. Put the hub on the axle and set the bearings. Yea almost done!!

I also took the left side apart and checked if it had any problems and put new gear oil in the diff.

The Moral of the story is check your hubs!!!
:driver: Yea!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Dukeman

wow isn't that funny how different they are. Look at this pic:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/94595-she-aint-pretty-2.html

my brakes are set up completely different then yours.

I'm doing the same job right now. So you said you would not have pulled the axle seal retainer if you did it again. I did not pull the retainer, only the seal. Is there some reason the retainer should be pulled? Does oil leak around the retainer? When you put the retainer back in did you use sealant? Since you were that far in to it did you replace the knuckle boot and did you use a zipper type or non-zipper?

Glad you got everything back together okay and got home safe.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wow isn't that funny how different they are. Look at this pic:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/94595-she-aint-pretty-2.html

my brakes are set up completely different then yours.

I'm doing the same job right now. So you said you would not have pulled the axle seal retainer if you did it again. I did not pull the retainer, only the seal. Is there some reason the retainer should be pulled? Does oil leak around the retainer? When you put the retainer back in did you use sealant? Since you were that far in to it did you replace the knuckle boot and did you use a zipper type or non-zipper?

Glad you got everything back together okay and got home safe.

The Brakes looks the same, but the pads look different.

If you pull the seal retainer (housing) it is just a plan to get back it.
I do not think it would leak around it. I did not use any sealant.
I did not replace the boot they looked new. Just were lose and it was a zipper one.

Good luck with your rebuild!!!