• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 is a M936 no more

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's my latest creation. Some people may think I'm crazy but I bought a M936, removed the bed and front winch, and installed a spreader bed.

The reason I went with a M936 is I needed the double frame and the heavier suspension. I got it for what I thought was a good deal also. Got the truck home last Fri., played with the crane over the weekend, and on Monday I pulled the bed.

I was going to keep the front winch but the truck is a money maker and it just wasn't practical. I needed to lower the weight as much as I could (so I could haul more) and this truck will be used to spread lime and fertilizer on fields and cropland. More than likely if I get stuck there will be nowhere to hook the winch line to anyway.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do with bed and front winch yet. I already have some interest in the stuff but I'm not sure if I want to get rid of it or hang on to it.

Attachments

emr

I think U picked the right chassis for your spreader.. [thumbzup] But i am one of those guys crying about the wrecker not on it at the same time, but i'll get over it and U have one AWESOME truck...[thumbzup]

Last edited by a moderator:

Doubled

I have a customer who has talked to me about doing something similar for his company. He is wanting a spreader bed installed and a auger system fabricated that will spread lime for soil stabilization on construction projects.

Good lookin rig you have there!! [thumbzup]

Atwater

any plans to use floater tires? ie large super singles? folks around here often use them on any truck that spends a majority of time in the field.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
any plans to use floater tires? ie large super singles? folks around here often use them on any truck that spends a majority of time in the field.
Yes, I've thought about it. I'm going to see how the Goodyears work out first though. Those big floaters are nice but they cost a fortune and wear fast going down the road. I do think the truck would looks bad a** with floaters all the way around.

emr

Yes, I've thought about it. I'm going to see how the Goodyears work out first though. Those big floaters are nice but they cost a fortune and wear fast going down the road. I do think the truck would looks bad a** with floaters all the way around.
As sweet as the wide tires are, i think u are right, they wear fast, have weak side walls, and are just not as stable as the set up u have, thats a tall truck, Very Nice...

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could go with a commercial super single like this guy did. Likely they are 22.5's.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those tires on that water truck are real nice. Are they street legal?
Some of the other custom spreaders around here run them on the road. I don't know if they are street legal but they do run them. The cops around here tend to no bother the farm trucks much though.

The main problem I see with them is they don't last long on the road. Most people that run them use tender trucks with hwy tires to deliver the product to the field. That way they don't run them up and down the road as much.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally went out and spread the first load of lime today. Had 17 tons on. I found out I could use a little more hp on the hills and the trans shift points need to be adjusted. It also rides rough when the springs sit on the big bar the wreckers have. Other than that it performed like it should.

I've got a old blown up 400 Cummins. I have been thinking about putting the turbo setup off it on the 250.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks