• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 on it's way!! What batteries do I need???

WildernessJeep

So after SEVEN MONTHS of getting the runaround from Govplanet (pro tip: just start calling them three times a day, every day), my 1984 M936 Wrecker is finally on it's way to Houston! The auction listing said the batteries were dead and needed a jump. What they meant was the batteries are gone, and GovPlanet appraisers can't tell the difference between dead and missing.

The yard attendant was kind enough to send me a photo of another truck's battery NSN, 6140-01-485-1472, but a search on the interwebs reveals those are $600-$800 each, which seems steep for a regular 12v truck battery. I recall seeing posts about guys putting some type of NAPA equivalent for about $200 per battery. I assume the truck takes two batteries to make the 24V.

The truck is supposed to be here in the morning, and I wanted to have the batteries ready and waiting so I can drive it off the trailer. Does anyone have an idea of what batteries I need from NAPA that will hook up to this truck?

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
24f from Walmart if you are cheap for $50 ea x 2 or 2 group 31 from oreilly or napa or carquest stud post seem to work best in the 5 ton for group 31s

If you want 6TL direct expensive replacement they are available from napa for 220 or so ea

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have two group 31s in each of my 5-tons. Good enough to start in 20 degree weather and relatively cheap.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you downloaded the TM's for your truck yet?

If not, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you do.

Since you have asked such a basic question..... There is MUCH you will learn by reviewing the manuals. There are even maintenance and SAFETY instructions there that are a MUST READ.

Not being crass here - Just encouraging you to KNOW your truck and to operate it SAFELY.

fasttruck

Post 5 has the straight skinny. Don't make a move without the pubs: operators manual, organizational maintenance manual, parts book, lubrication order, all of which are in the TM section on this site. One of the data plates on the dashboard will list the TM numbers. A wrecker has about 100 grease points on it and some of them are not easy to find. Neglect them at your own peril. Grease is cheap. Parts are not. Be guided accordingly. The operators manual will also describe how to operate the winches and the crane. Must reading. Most 5 tons are supposed to have 2 or 4 6tl batteries to jolt the engine into motion in Alaska. 2ea pair of batteries wired in series and then the pairs wired parallel. In warmer climes 2ea wired in series for 24 volts will work.

reallybigboat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the military wrecker world! You will very much enjoy it. You likely have batteries by now, but if not, the correct batteries are four 6TL's. I get them through O'Reilly's for $202 each and they arrive next day (picture below). As others have mentioned, you won't need four batteries. Two is sufficient. I recently purchased a M936A2 and the previous owner installed two group 24 batteries from Walmart. Group 24 are rather small, but they crank the 6CTA Cummins just fine even in 30 degree weather. The plus about the 6TL's is the hold down brackets and "J" hooks are designed for that size battery; securing a battery correctly and correct terminal covers are always a concern of mine. The downside on 6TL's is cost. Due to cost, I will be looking for alternatives going forward.

Finally, I'm up here in the Dallas area. I previously owned a M543A2 wrecker for many years, along with a few other MV's. If you have any questions regarding your M936, don't hesitate to reach out to me. PM me and I'm happy to provide you my cell number. I may not know all the answers, but I'm glad to help you along the learning curve.

Steve

1585486473250.png

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you downloaded the TM's for your truck yet?

If not, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you do.

Since you have asked such a basic question..... There is MUCH you will learn by reviewing the manuals. There are even maintenance and SAFETY instructions there that are a MUST READ.

Not being crass here - Just encouraging you to KNOW your truck and to operate it SAFELY.
7 months of waiting he should have them memorrized.

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up two group 65's from Costco for $110 each and they crank my M923 just fine. Costco batts are Interstates and have a 3 year no questions asked replacement warranty. Unless you plan to go deep in the boondocks or move to the frigid north (ie- anything above Waco in my opinion), two good 750CCA batts are fine. Until you know your truck inside and out, I recommend putting an amp meter in line between your batts and truck with everything off to ensure you don't have any leakage currents. Most of our trucks sits for weeks at a time as they are not daily drivers (Wes is not part of this group) so any leakage will kill your batts very quickly. I disconnect both of my batteries by pulling off the positive cable to each before I leave it sitting.

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forgot to add two items:

First, if you want a 'better' grade of battery, go with industrial series (for rigs and heavy equipment like dozers) as they are built to withstand lots of vibration. The internals for industrials are built heavier than than the standard Costco, Walmart, Autozone, etc. versions and will hold up longer but you'll pay a premium for them. I paid $175 each for group 31's for my excavator at Catepillar and now you're getting into the 6TL price range. The next level are the AGM's or gels which are in my opinion the best but maybe overkill for a hobby truck. Just depends on what you want to do.

Second...congrats on the wrecker! I'm very jealous and have been looking at them but a dump truck will have priority for me in the near future. Good luck with learning your new toy!

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well this is how cheap i am because I have way too much equip and trucks to outfit. I visit two automotive junkyards selling a selection of 900+CA top-post batteries for $35-40ea. yes, they are used. Most are only a year or two old. One place guarantees up to a year at full replacement, the other place has free replacement anytime after your 1st purchase. (keep your receipts!) They test and inspect their batts before putting on shelf, and test again when you purchase. I usually have to replace 3 or 4 a year, out of about 50 batteries in use at a time . I prefer batts over 1000CA but in warm weather a pair of 900's like you would find in a diesel pickup truck spin a 250 cummins just fine

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks