• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 Rear Winch Operations - Safety Question

charlesmann

@Mullaney
I use an old 30 gal air compressor tank as a volume tank and run a 3/4” impact wrench for lug nut rmvl. I can burp all 10 lugs off and still have air to spare.
i think im gonna rmv the cutting bottle structure, fab up a volume tank, hopefully more than 30 gal and set it in place where the bottles would have gone. Id plumb off the emergency line to feed the tank but put a valve in place so im not trying to fill the tank every time i crank the truck up, only when i need tool air.

charlesmann

Problem with electric atv winches is they don't have enough cable to run to a block and back

The HET payout winches are cheap on govplanet and have alot of cable. Just T off the rear Hydraulic feed
true on the atv winch, but extra 1/4” cable inst hard to come by and 50’ or 100’ rolled isnt that heavy or difficult to mess with.
I run into “not enough cable” issues with my 12k winch, so i carry extra cable, shackles and yarder/skidding chokers when i go tree hunting/recovering.

As for the HET payout winch, im assuming that is that 18k electric winch pictured on the side of the truck? Or at least it looks like my 18k from an MRAP.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
true on the atv winch, but extra 1/4” cable inst hard to come by and 50’ or 100’ rolled isnt that heavy or difficult to mess with.
I run into “not enough cable” issues with my 12k winch, so i carry extra cable, shackles and yarder/skidding chokers when i go tree hunting/recovering.

As for the HET payout winch, im assuming that is that 18k electric winch pictured on the side of the truck? Or at least it looks like my 18k from an MRAP.
Its a 3000lb Hydraulic winch used to payout the 1inch cable on the dual 55k winches on the HET

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
@Mullaney
I use an old 30 gal air compressor tank as a volume tank and run a 3/4” impact wrench for lug nut rmvl. I can burp all 10 lugs off and still have air to spare.
i think im gonna rmv the cutting bottle structure, fab up a volume tank, hopefully more than 30 gal and set it in place where the bottles would have gone. Id plumb off the emergency line to feed the tank but put a valve in place so im not trying to fill the tank every time i crank the truck up, only when i need tool air.
That could be a heck of an idea! I need to find a spot for a tank and some one way check valves. That way I don't have to remember to turn off the air.

I have been chasing leaks for about a week now. Got all but a new one that has started near / under the drivers door. I like to walk out to my truck and bleed the tanks without having to wait for it to build air. This whole truck is COVERED in air actuated switches and valves!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
@Suprman has 24v to 12v equalizers. I run one in my tractor

100amp. Requires a 24v cont duty and 12v cont duty solenoid to separate it on power. They are reasonably priced
Very reasonable. I have one on the way. Maybe I can start a new thread when it arrives about installing it. Understand I need a cutoff switch or a relay of some sort to turn it off. Gathering it will need a real piece of battery cable to drive it too. Thanks for the lead!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Very reasonable. I have one on the way. Maybe I can start a new thread when it arrives about installing it. Understand I need a cutoff switch or a relay of some sort to turn it off. Gathering it will need a real piece of battery cable to drive it too. Thanks for the lead!
4awg is cheap wire. I have it will pull the amps.

WildernessJeep

Or you can buy the electricHydraulic solenoid and run the rear winch with a wireless keyfob

@Suprman has them on his eBay page

I don't see any kind of electric/hydraulic/wireless thingy on that page. Got a linky?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I don't see any kind of electric/hydraulic/wireless thingy on that page. Got a linky?

You use a standard car alarm. Or wireless remote for a winch found at harbor freight that power up that electric solenoid in the link above

Csm Davis

My rear winch operates like a champ. Question is this: Standing about where the white shop towel is to operate it doesn't give you anywhere to hide (duck, get out of the way, call it what you will...) if something goes wrong. I have heard a winch cable flying through the air before and it is a pretty ominous sound.

Am I over thinking this?

If the outrigger was out and down, it would provide some protection. Not much but that steel is a whole lot tougher than me... The obvious answer is to stop when the truck starts groaning or the cable starts creaking... Other 9XX trucks don't have that feature so there has to be a plan?

View attachment 798721View attachment 798720
I would say that the outrigger out and dangling but only about a foot away from the bed of the truck would be all that is needed. That's what I was told to do but never have. Only rear cable I have ever broken was on 816 that I was overloading, pretty sure all of the 936's will bypas before reaching the max breaking strength of the cable.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Bypass before it breaks the cable... As in the winch is hydraulic and has a check-valve that should "scream" and stop the pull?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Little derailed but all good. If we look at safety then with the 816 should not the operator be in the drivers seat ready to push in the clutch if there is problem and have a spotter in the correct area to see and command operations. Yes I have operated the rear wench on my 816 from the back and was a little worried but the only other person was running the stuck equipment. I have not run the a 936 but can the rear wench or PTO also be controlled from the cab?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Little derailed but all good. If we look at safety then with the 816 should not the operator be in the drivers seat ready to push in the clutch if there is problem and have a spotter in the correct area to see and command operations. Yes I have operated the rear wench on my 816 from the back and was a little worried but the only other person was running the stuck equipment. I have not run the a 936 but can the rear wench or PTO also be controlled from the cab?
Isn't that why the M62 and 816s have the clutch pot? So you engage the clutch pedal from the rear operators station to change between crane and if there is an issue?

The m936 they got you standing beside the truck rather than right behind the flying cable. The only difference I hate on the 936 is that is has to run at high idle to prevent transmission damage over the older trucks can run the boom or winch at idle so everything moves much slower

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't that why the M62 and 816s have the clutch pot?
Yea has the clutch pot back there on the 816. Could we not use it just to first reel out any cable needed only needing one person the other 10 men to drag out the cable. You do not want to bird nest that cable on reeling out. Then while still back there using the clutch pot take up most of the slack and make sure the level wind is working. Then when ready operator switches to cab for safety?

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Floridianson To be honest - I don't know - but I don't think the rear winch on the 936 can be operated from the cab. The way mine is configured there are two valves on the back passenger side of the truck (pictured). They are safety chained in a neutral position so soldier b or soldier c won't bump them while the wrecker boom is in operation.

M936 Rear Winch Controls.jpg

Left side is to pull or pay out cable. Right side is high or low speed. The power divider in the cab engages the rear PTO but nothing happens until one of the levers is pulled or pushed. As soon as the transmission is dropped into gear, I hear hydraulics stirring fluid.

Never really gave it any thought until now but I am guessing the rear winch gets its fluid in some sort of shared arrangement with the boom - under the ugly metal box (pictured below). I have been planning to pop open that cover. Wanted to see why it was such a big box and what was under it.

M936 Rear Winch Hoses.jpg

Just lately I seem to have plenty of other things requiring actual attention. The broken Jib Cylinder hydraulic hose https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/m936-hydraulics-or-how-fast-can-an-old-fat-man-move.196132/ and my recently located leaky cylinder packing.

Fun and adventure looms ahead!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks