• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 Warning Light won't turn with LED's??

WildernessJeep

I have a Deitz 7-40 rotating warning beacon on my M936 wrecker. First, I had to rewire almost the whole bed. Now I have the work lights working with LED's installed in each, and I have 24 volts to the warning light plug. Both light systems even turn on and off with the dash switches! So, me being super-smart, I ordered new LED PAR 36 bulbs to put in the warning light, too. The old halogen bulbs are very hard to find in 24 volt, and frankly I'd rather have the LED's like I have on the working lights. Now the warning light won't rotate or light at all with the LED bulbs installed. Oddly, it will rotate just fine with no bulbs installed. Again, oddly the light rotates with the burned out PAR 36 halogen bulbs installed, but still won't rotate or light with the LED's. I tried reversing the polarity on the LED bulbs, with no light or rotation at all. When I got the truck, one of the bulbs was good and the light rotated just fine. I should have quit while I was ahead. With all the installation/re installation and jostling , my one good halogen bulb has apparently burned out as well.

Any ideas on the gremlin? Anyone have some halogen PAR 36's sitting around? I'm hesitant to reverse polarity to the whole thing, because that would reverse polarity to the motor as well.

1599099288176.png

Last edited:

JD4044M

Strange but with some things the LEDs won't work with normal flashers and you need a resistor to make a load on the flasher. Strange it works with no lights?

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those lights have a set of spring loaded contact brushes that run on a copper disc below the light deck to give power to the lights..... I will bet that one or more of the brushes is binding in its guide and is not making proper contact...... Also, if you look at the center stem, it may be causing some binding when you tighten the bulb clamps down thereby preventing rotation (it doesn't take a lot to stall one of these lights)....... Additionally, check the gear drive mechanism-- some are plastic or bake-lite which can crack and bind up as well...........
reversing polarity to the motor won't harm it at all.........

Also, those are sealed beam par36 incandescants looking at your pic-- if they were halogen, they would have a smaller capsule inside the sealed beam around the filament (basically a small halogen bulb inside a par36 glass "shell" for intents)........ the correct bulbs for these would be the regular par36 incandescent lamps.........believe I may have a few kicking around here somewhere...........

Z

WildernessJeep

Is it originally a 24v light?
Motors might be 12v

The motor is actually stamped with "12v" on it, but it is the light/motor that came on the truck from the military. It turns pretty fast, but doesn't seem to get hot or burn.

I've confirmed with my multimeter that I am getting 24.3 volts to the light.

Last edited:

WildernessJeep

Also, those are sealed beam par36 incandescants looking at your pic-- if they were halogen, they would have a smaller capsule inside the sealed beam around the filament (basically a small halogen bulb inside a par36 glass "shell" for intents)........ the correct bulbs for these would be the regular par36 incandescent lamps.........believe I may have a few kicking around here somewhere...........

Z

That is just a picture from the interwebs. Mine are actually halogen, but I assume I can put incandescent in them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks