• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 wrecker bed

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm fixing to be the new owner of a M936 wrecker bed. Just the bed. I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do with it.

I wonder if you stripped it down if it would still be too much for the deuce? I would only use it for crane operations and no towing. I don't need the rear winch and I figure that would take off quite a bit of weight right there.

I have also thought about using a old deuce frame I have, turning it into a trailer, and mounting the bed on it. The plus side would be I wouldn't have another truck to keep up (maintenance, tags, and insurance). The problems are it wouldn't be as maneuverable, and I'd have to figure out how to power the crane.

Any ideas?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The trailer idea is a good one.....you could prob power it with a small diesel engine running the main pump.

I would add some hydrolic outriggers on all four corners to make it stable.

You would need to keep the brake system on the deuce frame trailer working since that much weight would not be safe to stop with just the towing deuce brakes.

Keep in mind the frames on wreckers were doubled.....you might have to put some reinforcing on the donor frame if you go that route.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep in mind the frames on wreckers were doubled.....you might have to put some reinforcing on the donor frame if you go that route.
Well I figure if I use the outriggers there won't be too much weight on the frame when lifting. By my rough calculations, I figure the complete bed weighs around 12K. I figure I can strip it down to less than 10K.

I'm picking the bed up Friday so I'll have a better look at it. That was what I was going to call you about but I got busy and forgot about it. I'll find out what I need to know Friday anyway.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can put a pto pump on the deuce and run a set of wet lines back . You just wouldn't have the trottle control . Or a power unit and pump on the trailer.

yamabro

At least I can take a good look at yours cause soon I'm going to head down to Camp Shelby and pick those two up from Jeff. I'll know what I'm up against.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Hmm, interesting! I agree with wreckerman's concern about the frame strength. A hydraulic crane trailer would be a fascinating beast, for sure. I wonder if the easiest way to power the crane would be to mount an engine up on the front of the frame? You might end up with a whole wrecker by the time you're done.

Jakelc15

I have a transfer case pto for a deuce for sale, maybe we could work something out on that drag winch your going to remove!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay enough jokes, are you getting the pumps and motors or just the bed and crane?
I'm actually getting the whole truck but the bed is coming off. One of the hyd pumps will stay on the truck to run the new bed that is going on (to be announced ;-)).

I cant wait till you get it in, I'm going to have to roll on by and check it out. Are you picking it up?
Yea. I'm taking the Freightliner down tomorrow and hauling it in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks