• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 wrecker boom leaking down

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Cylinders are at hydraulic shop getting rebuilt, hope that fixes it , then start making a bunch of new hoses , how much pressure should the hydraulic system put out??? Going to hook gauges on and test when I get a chance.
I looked through the TM's and I have not found it (pressure specs) anywhere.
I know I have seen 2000# and I could have sworn that I have seen 2500#.
Wanting hard evidence though - and so far it is only a guess.

Stumbling along through some website, I found oil filled 0-4000 pound gauges and purchased four.
My plan at the time was to see (or maybe discover?) what the pressure actually is. Never got back to it...

Like so many things, searching the TM's with the correct key words will eventually work.
My patience for that seems to get shorter as I get older though :-(

Congratulations on the other.
Spending bucks is no fun, but having a pair of freshly rebuilt and installed cylinders will sure make life better.
If you don't decide to keep them, maybe we could talk.
I could rebuild them and have spares if you don't do the same.

colesmotorsports

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked through the TM's and I have not found it (pressure specs) anywhere.
I know I have seen 2000# and I could have sworn that I have seen 2500#.
Wanting hard evidence though - and so far it is only a guess.

Stumbling along through some website, I found oil filled 0-4000 pound gauges and purchased four.
My plan at the time was to see (or maybe discover?) what the pressure actually is. Never got back to it...

Like so many things, searching the TM's with the correct key words will eventually work.
My patience for that seems to get shorter as I get older though :-(

Congratulations on the other.
Spending bucks is no fun, but having a pair of freshly rebuilt and installed cylinders will sure make life better.
If you don't decide to keep them, maybe we could talk.
I could rebuild them and have spares if you don't do the same.

Thanks for the info, I'll see if I'm going keep other cylinders or sell . I'll have to check out the TM thing and figure it out, or try . My patience isn't much better , I usually sit down watch YouTube have a drink or 2,3....

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Bought this test kit on Amazon $70 haven't head time to hook it up yetView attachment 834287
Wow. That looks pretty nice. I do know for sure that 2000# should be minimum output. I just can't figure out if 2500# should be the minumum. And then the rest of the picture is volume once you know the pressure. That volume number either makes things dog slow or move faster than they should.

Thinking that a part number on or for the pump should give a definite pressure and volume number though.
Didn't consider that until now. Duh!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got call from hydraulic shop on cylinders, all seals where coming apart ,chunks missing , rod and pistons are good, Cylinders need to be honed out some rust, going to cost about $600. Really glad to at least know what was causing cylinders to go down.
Awesome! Well, not awesome you have to spend that money, but then you know they will be good to go for a long time. Just happy you'll have it fixed and working right. All my hoses say 3000psi on them, so my money is on a 2500psi or less system. But a part number lookup for the pump is a great idea, and should give you the specs.

That sure is a purdy test kit!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Good day , finally got rebuilt cylinders on , made some new hoses up and boom finally stays up 😊😊got to finish putting some panels on clean up the Valdez like oil spill, glad in North Dakota and not California for this mess , happy happy 4th !!!
Congratulations!!!

Oh happy day... Funny how things work. Or maybe don't work.
Glad to have your boom jacked up.

Now let's have fun. Lower that boom, zip-tie a flag to it and stick it back up in the air!
Stand back and admire (repeat as necessary for inspiration)

colesmotorsports

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations!!!

Oh happy day... Funny how things work. Or maybe don't work.
Glad to have your boom jacked up.

Now let's have fun. Lower that boom, zip-tie a flag to it and stick it back up in the air!
Stand back and admire (repeat as necessary for inspiration)
Lol thanks , got to say I was getting disappointed in it, but every thing finally works now !! Not lying I sat down with good ol glass of whiskey on the rocks and said dam it's hot out here 😊 was noon here ! Appreciate all the advice!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Lol thanks , got to say I was getting disappointed in it, but every thing finally works now !! Not lying I sat down with good ol glass of whiskey on the rocks and said dam it's hot out here 😊 was noon here ! Appreciate all the advice!
With you 100% on the heat. It has been miserable here. Hot and really muggy. Had no rain for about 3 weeks - then for the last three days rain for a few hours - and it gets even more sticky and miserable.

Really glad that you got your truck working. They really are useful. Just being able to pick up stuff and move it from here to there. Off the ground into your pickup truck or whatever.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks