• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 Wrecker Boom - Replacement Winch Cable - What about Stainless Cable?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Soliciting Opinions ... My boom winch cable has some "scuffs" and at least one obviously "mashed" spot on it. Cable seems to be the oldest cable on the three winches on my truck. It may have not been replaced since it left military service. It actually has a rusty look to it. I have done a little reading and looking but have not found the obvious "right and best answer".

I saw mention of stainless cable. Seems appealing since it does live outdoors. I have cable lube that is meant to protect winch cable - but - would stainless be flexible enough in this application? Is that a possibility?

That neat connector (pictured below) - TM9-2320-272-24P-2, Page 499-1 calls it " PAOZZ, 4030007065553, 19207, 7065553, SOCKET, WIRE ROPE 1 UOCAL, V18, ZAL". Does it just unbolt from the old cable and connect onto the new cable?

EDIT: (MORE Info available on SteelSoldiers by SEARCHING for "ESMET") Thanks zebedee

Cable Connector - aka- Wire Rope Socket.jpg

Sad Winch Cable.jpg

Last edited:

m715mike

I’ve got the same question about cable.
Wes mentioned a coated cable commonly used offshore, but I didn’t write it down and forgot what he called it. (Knowing Wes, he’ll be along soon.)

As for the “neat connector,” there is a wedge inside and holds the cable on the connector. Unbolt it, work the wedge out, and then pull the cable out.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I’ve got the same question about cable.
Wes mentioned a coated cable commonly used offshore, but I didn’t write it down and forgot what he called it. (Knowing Wes, he’ll be along soon.)

As for the “neat connector,” there is a wedge inside and holds the cable on the connector. Unbolt it, work the wedge out, and then pull the cable out.
Thanks Mike!

Nice to know about the wedge. I was hopeful. The TM shows a picture but no details...

I figure in my case, the JIB has a hydraulic leak. I don't know yet if it is a line leaking or cylinder packing - but either way - it appears that removing the winch cable is required. I figure as crummy as that cable looks, it has to be replaced. No need to remove it again later...

The "Tackle Block" isn't light. I need to come up with a plan to support that thing "in thin air" so I can weave the cable around it. Now... If I could just find my magic wand...

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look up ESMET (connector) with the search function - there is plenty of info and install tips from people who have 'been there before'.

While we are on the subject - have you considered changing out the fluted drum to allow a greater capacity of cable?

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I find this an interesting question.

From what I can find Stainless Steel wire rope has less capacity that standard steel of the same diameter.

5/8" Wire Rope 6 x 19 IWRC Core Steel = 8,200 lbs. lift rated
5/8" Wire Rope 6 x 19 IWRC Core 18-8 Stainless Steel = 6,260 lbs. lift rated

Perhaps you could up-size the cable one size to maintain your lifting capacity at the expense of the length on the drum if you want the corrosion resistance of SS. Maybe the SS cable falls within the rated lifting capacity of the crane.

mcmaster.com wire-rope-for-lifting

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Look up ESMET (connector) with the search function - there is plenty of info and install tips from people who have 'been there before'.

While we are on the subject - have you considered changing out the fluted drum to allow a greater capacity of cable?
His wrecker has the super winch on the boom. It can hold a lot more cable

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Thanks zebedee

I found the magic! ESMET was what I needed to know. I spent a little time on the ElectrolineUSA.com site learning. Also found your 2017 post on how to build a pair of Swedge Blocks to hold everything still in a vice. It is starting to look like having one mounted on the front bumper of the truck would be a really nice addition! https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/5-ton-wrecker-bed.165663/page-9#post-2003575

Using ESMET as a search also found me a post from simp5782 that had a two page PDF explaining how to do the job. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/winch-cable-termination-chain-lead.181068/#post-2153491 Naturally I downloaded it, printed a copy and that will be the job for the weekend.

THANKS GUYS!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I find this an interesting question.

From what I can find Stainless Steel wire rope has less capacity that standard steel of the same diameter.

5/8" Wire Rope 6 x 19 IWRC Core Steel = 8,200 lbs. lift rated
5/8" Wire Rope 6 x 19 IWRC Core 18-8 Stainless Steel = 6,260 lbs. lift rated

Perhaps you could up-size the cable one size to maintain your lifting capacity at the expense of the length on the drum if you want the corrosion resistance of SS. Maybe the SS cable falls within the rated lifting capacity of the crane.

mcmaster.com wire-rope-for-lifting

Really interesting... Thanks NY Tom

I guess that would explain why I have seen nothing but "plain old steel" cable on even the high dollar twin boom rotators here in town. I was imagining the cost would be through the roof for stainless - and that was why I hadn't seen it. Unless something changes, seems like steel rope is the way to go...

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this the product as it is in my neck of the woods?

Thinking of using it for my winch.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

L-673-10 CABLE coating.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Well sir... I did get mine from a place down near N'awlins. Much less gummy than what you found. This stuff is nice. Seeps into the wires on the cable too! Seems that a 5 gallon pail is the smallest thing they sell.

Picture Attached of the label on the bucket

Cable Coating.jpg

Csm Davis

Juan I would suggest using a standard cable lube then apply the coating that Simp has suggested. I am fairly certain the military used cosmoline.

charlesmann

A bit of an older thread, but i nicked my boom cable a couple weeks ago. I let it jump the sheave and got wedged between the sheaves and the two “guide” bolts.

What about synthetic line? The boom winch isnt as bad for holding a memory, but damned if the front winch wont twist and coil up while spooling it off.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
A bit of an older thread, but i nicked my boom cable a couple weeks ago. I let it jump the sheave and got wedged between the sheaves and the two “guide” bolts.

What about synthetic line? The boom winch isnt as bad for holding a memory, but damned if the front winch wont twist and coil up while spooling it off.
I use swage 3/4 to 5/8" cable and it will lay out flat all day while paying out cable. It does not snake up

Remove those guide bolts and replace them with 1/2" diameter bolts so if the cable ever walks again it won't pinch it. Otherwise let it walk over if you need to and then kick it back over to the sleeve when you get your slack back

charlesmann

Remove those guide bolts and replace them with 1/2" diameter bolts so if the cable ever walks again it won't pinch it. Otherwise let it walk over if you need to and then kick it back over to the sleeve when you get your slack back
Already did that for that reason.

Iv looked at swaged cable, but im also looking at synthetic

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks