• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 Wrecker Hydraulic Hoist Motor

rivets1

Have a 1984 AM Gen M936 5 ton wrecker. Hydraulic hoist motor is leaking. No exploded view in TM. Has anyone actually opened one up and attempted to replace gaskets,seals, bushings etc. ??

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a basic hyd motor to me. Easy to reseal. Just take it apart carefully, remember where all the parts go, and keep everything clean. Replacing the shaft seal should fix your leak.

5tonpuller

Some have a thin gasket in between the parts. I all was heard the old guys call it onion paper. ( I don't know why )
What I have found out that shinny magazine paper is a good replacement. My .05 worth.
Matt

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Onionskin Paper A lightweight, bond-type, thin and semitransparent paper used for duplicate copies of typed matter to save filing space.

A google search for onionskin paper can be elightening!

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're ever looking for a spare winch and motor for that rig, I've got one sitting here doing nothing but getting older and looking for a home.

Hawssie

Yeah that is just a basic gear pump, probably a commercial intertech (which is now owned by Parker). The gear pumps and motors are basically the same design and are easily serviced esp. if all you have is a leak. if its leaking externally its most likely the output shaft lip seal in the front. At least that is the most common place for them to leak as its a dynamic seal as opposed to the seals for the front and housing and gear section. You should be able to pull a part off of the seal if its readable and the motor should also have a part code on it if its something else.

Hawssie

I need to correct the last post. Should say " Yeah that looks like a basic gear MOTOR" next "for the front and REAR housing" and lastly "able to pull a part NUMBER off of the seal"

rivets1

Thanks for the reply info. Yes this motor is a Commericial Intertech product. We are going to open it up this week and look to replace o rings, seals, gaskets and hopefully repair the leak. Any additional info welcome. Will post our results when we finish.

Hawssie

Check out these guys, they have some good info on determining what model and size you have. Commercial Intertech was a great company but ever since Parker bought it around 10 or so years ago the info,specs and parts breakdowns are harder to come by. Parker has bought up dozens of smaller companies lately and has made things more difficult with every one of them. http://www.knighthawksupply.com/commgen.htm

rivets1

Just to update this thread. We removed the motor, disassembled and found signs it had been apart before and "repaired". We got two rebuild quotes. Also found a hydrualic supply company here locally on Long Island and they advised they could get a new one from Parker for $1,600. Both rebuild quotes were higher, go figure. We ordered new on 3/24, Parker said they would deliver part in 6-8 weeks. It took 12 weeks but worth the wait and back on line.:grin:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to update this thread. We removed the motor, disassembled and found signs it had been apart before and "repaired". We got two rebuild quotes. Also found a hydrualic supply company here locally on Long Island and they advised they could get a new one from Parker for $1,600. Both rebuild quotes were higher, go figure. We ordered new on 3/24, Parker said they would deliver part in 6-8 weeks. It took 12 weeks but worth the wait and back on line.:grin:
FYI, If your new Parker motor has a allen plug in the bottom side of it, you need add a case drain to it. If not you will be replacing it soon. I had my motor repaired two times before they told me it needs a case drain.

Attachments

SLOrazorsedge

Albert, my M936A1 looks identical to yours with the allen head on the bottom of the motor. With your modification how does the motor drain? It looks like it would have to drain uphill from the set up or oil from the return line would be flowing downhill to the motor? Is the goal to have the motor drain the hydro fluid dry when not in use? Thanks, Dale.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Albert, my M936A1 looks identical to yours with the allen head on the bottom of the motor. With your modification how does the motor drain? It looks like it would have to drain uphill from the set up or oil from the return line would be flowing downhill to the motor? Is the goal to have the motor drain the hydro fluid dry when not in use? Thanks, Dale.
Here is my understanding (lookout LOL) When you are using the motor and reverse the motor there is an area between the seals that can build up pressure and needs to be able to bleed off that pressure, that is what the case drain does is bleeds off that unwanted pressure.
Are something like that. i not a hydro guy so that was my best attempt. Hope that helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks