• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 wrecker ownership

Z71

Do you need a CDL (commercial driver's license) to drive this vehicle on public roads? I know they have air brake system. How much is insurance coverage for these and is it easy to get?

These are heavy vehicles, with curb weight of about 36,000 lbs, so the fuel economy must be bad. Just how bad? 5 MPG when not towing anything? Can these vehicles get up to and maintain about 60 MPH on a level open road?

Are hydraulic cranes on these vehicles reliable?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Do you need a CDL (commercial driver's license) to drive this vehicle on public roads? I know they have air brake system.

In most states.

How much is insurance coverage for these and is it easy to get?

If you do not use it for a tow vehicle and put farm tags on it you might be able to afford straight liability insurance. I had my M816 insured through Progressive and it was $1200.00 bucks a year and I could not tow anything with it (even my personal stuff). Commercial tow insurance is very expensive.

These are heavy vehicles, with curb weight of about 36,000 lbs, so the fuel economy must be bad. Just how bad? 5 MPG when not towing anything? Can these vehicles get up to and maintain about 60 MPH on a level open road?

3-5 miles per gallon empty, in neutral, down hill, with a tail wind. Put a load on it and watch the fuel hand move. The 250 Cummins is a dog........it will not pull a greasy string out of a fat cat's arse. The automatic does not help since it shifts whenever it feels like it. If you have one with the super singles it might hold 60 on level ground.....as soon as you hit a hill you are going to be the toad in the road.

The cranes are good at what they were intended to do. Most units they were issued to used them more for the crane than for towing.

Z71

Thanks wreckerman, that's what I was looking for. You have to ask these questions before jumping in and buying one of these things. A neat toy for sure, but not very practical to own unless you use it only on a large farm or ranch primarily as a crane.

I am surprised about the 250 Cummins being a weak engine. The turbo version (400 HP) certainly isn't.

I have never been a fan of automatic transmissions. I have been driving my M109A3 5 speed manual for years and I am somewhat reluctant to go with an automatic. A combination of a weak engine, large curb weight and auto transmission is a bad thing.

Last edited:

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Do you need a CDL (commercial driver's license) to drive this vehicle on public roads?

I had to get at least a non-commercial class B drivers license to drive mine in ga. I went ahead and went one step higher and got the class A.

How much is insurance coverage for these and is it easy to get?

I have mine through state farm and pay about 30 something a month with no towing restrictions.

These are heavy vehicles, with curb weight of about 36,000 lbs, so the fuel economy must be bad. Just how bad?

On my 500 mile recovery trip I averaged 3mpg. And hit 55mph once going down hill.

So far.
2cents

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Thanks wreckerman, that's what I was looking for. You have to ask these questions before jumping in and buying one of these things. A neat toy for sure, but not very practical to own.
Technically no MV has any real practical reason to own, but that doesn't stop any of us. Just got to use your imagination, I use my wrecker every chance I get.

Z71

"On my 500 mile recovery trip I averaged 3mpg. And hit 55mph once going down hill."

Wow, that sucks. That's more than $ 1/mile in fuel costs. Was that an M936 with the 250 Cummins?

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
"On my 500 mile recovery trip I averaged 3mpg. And hit 55mph once going down hill."

Wow, that sucks. That's more than $ 1/mile in fuel costs. Was that an M936 with the 250 Cummins?
Yes it does, yes it did, and yes it is. It was cheaper than having it hauled.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have no REAL need for my 36000 lb m819, but sure like it, sure is NICE to have, even better now that it is back ON THE ROAD :D

Z71

I often get an urge to buy things I do not need and often buy them. Especially if the price is right.:D

Z71

Yes it does, yes it did, and yes it is. It was cheaper than having it hauled.
Just curious, what did they want to haul it per loaded mile? I bet it was at least $ 3/mile. The M936 I was interested in is 900 miles away. It would take 2 days and $ 1,200 in fuel cost alone to drive it home.

MadCat2

I do have a M936 Wrecker, and yes I do have a CDL. I would highly encourage it- since it is a heavy beast. I do not know if it required, but they are easy to get, read the book and take a test at DMV, not very expensive and the info is pretty good, and may help!

My mileage has been 6-7 on the highway, not as bad as I heard, 3-4. My max speed is 57, downhill with a tail wind. I avg 52, and stay between 50 and 55 most of the time. On a steep hill it will slow down bad!

The hydraulics are very reliable, mine is an 84 and all worked just fine after sitting in yard for 3yrs. Army has been using that set up for many years, I drove one in early 90's.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a M543A2(1967) with the multi-fuel engine, and it is a hog on fuel and slow on the hills and if I get over 45mph in it, it can get pretty scary, but I do love it! And the crane is great, very articulate and reliable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks