• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 Wrecker, Tires and Spare

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have a nice set of six 395/85 R20's under my wrecker. Nice big fat juicy tires! The spare is a (flat) 11.00/R20 that fits the spare tire holder nicely. The tool boxes open like they should. The rotator boom clears the spare... If I happened to be pulling my HEMAT trailer, I have a tire like what is on the truck (almost). The HEMAT is a 395/85 R22.5 and it has a "same size" spare on the front deck.

Not really concerned about the "flat" in the spare because I have 10 more with good tread that are NOT flat. Thing is, I get the distinct feeling that other than on a really bad day I wouldn't want a spare that size on the road. It would almost be like the "doughnut" tires on a passenger car. Better than nothing - but not much.

It looks like there should be space for the right size spare with some fabrication. The second picture is looking down between the cab and wrecker body / bed. Not really sure what the plate with 4 holes in it was for. Maybe a convoy light or aftermarket something-or-other...

Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions?

M936 Boom Full Extension.jpg

M936 Behind The Spare.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
M989a1 uses a 385 65 22.5 which is 4 inches shorter than the 395s on the truck

The larger 14.00r20 tire, bigger than your 395 is designed to go in that same location as your spare is now.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Great! So it sounds like I don't need to fabricate... Even better than I had hoped! Thank you sir.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked into putting 14.00x20 on my wrecker and looked into the spare. What I found on the A1 and A2 wreckers with 14.00's they made the tool boxes smaller, That is how they got them to fit. I could not find the photo's on the A1's tool boxes I had.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I looked into putting 14.00x20 on my wrecker and looked into the spare. What I found on the A1 and A2 wreckers with 14.00's they made the tool boxes smaller, That is how they got them to fit. I could not find the photo's on the A1's tool boxes I had.
My wrecker - at least in theory - is an A1. I have a few odd features like A2 fuel tanks, free spool winches front and back and so on. Maybe I have an "A1.5" or something crazy like that? Anyway, you mentioned toolbox dimensions. I don't know if mine are standard or not.

I took some measurements. Toolbox top measures 20 inches by about 43 inches. If you happen to know A1 or A2 from the toolbox size I would be interested to know what I have.

M936 Toolbox 02.jpg M936 Toolbox 03.jpg

charlesmann

My wrecker - at least in theory - is an A1. I have a few odd features like A2 fuel tanks, free spool winches front and back and so on. Maybe I have an "A1.5" or something crazy like that? Anyway, you mentioned toolbox dimensions. I don't know if mine are standard or not.
I didnt think the A2 has a free spool rear. I know my A2 rear doesnt free spool. Which is what i hate about it, along with a few other dislikes.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I didnt think the A2 has a free spool rear. I know my A2 rear doesnt free spool. Which is what i hate about it, along with a few other dislikes.
His wrecker isn't a normal wrecker

charlesmann

His wrecker isn't a normal wrecker

that is definitely a modded truck id much rather have compared to my A2.
Esp free spool rear and different boom winch.

Iv thought bout yarding the bed off the parts truck and putting a civi crane, riggers and bed on it.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well do tell! Never thought I would see a bunch of guys with "winch envy".

There is definite magic to free spool. It was just pure dumb luck that I got a truck with these mods.

I remember standing in front of a Dodge Ambulance leaning into the cable - and it was the half inch stuff. Dragging it to a tree to pull us out of a mud hole about half a truck deep. I remember walking off to the side - behind another tree to lay down and rest afterward. Can't remember if it was keeping tension on the cable as it unwound or just the cable got heavy the more I had to drag it... I was much younger then too

Thanks for the comments. Would love to know what M35A2-AZ can share about toolbox size. ;-)

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took some pics of my M936 toolboxes 24"x44". Sorry the pics are dark, wrecker was in the barn.
So if your tool boxes are only 20" I think the bigger spare should fit. I think you have an A1 or A2 bed.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Interesting. Wouldn't have thought redesigning the toolboxes would have been done between truck models. A couple of inches in both directions... In my opinion, designing a way to access them from the ground could have had some real value - but it almost seems like a waste to redesign like this.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As promised... pics from the spare carrier area of my M936A2.

Toolbox is 20" front to back.

Attachments

Last edited:

charlesmann

I just checked my A2 and the boxes are 20” (lip to back of hinge) x 44.

What do ya’ll carry for BII? My truck came 2 ea. 0FC8B32F-734E-4C85-96EB-C7C192900B8A.jpeg
61939B70-C414-42B2-82B2-F85C90431992.jpeg
56CD5336-84C6-4080-BBED-1EFA7A93581E.jpeg
And 1ea of
FD406AC4-B18C-4D0C-BA94-ABA8B9D77415.jpeg
BF0CC0CC-E55C-4D93-8FA7-43B459799CBC.jpeg
Any idea of the WLL of the 2 blocks on the tool boxes? The 1 with the smaller sheave and non swiveling hook has an 8 casted on it, so im thinking 8 tons, but the other block has no markings.

what about the double and single sheave blocks on the ground? There are no markings on them either?

I also have a 1 48” 1 man crosscut saw, 1 tanker (60” chisel point) pry bar and some kind of wide point flat point scraper looking pry bar plus a few other nick-nacks.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
@M35A2-AZ has a picture of the full BII laid out

I am installing a hydraulic hose reel like those found on the FLU419s and going to tap into the rear hydraulics on my 816. So I can have a reel of hoses so that I can use a hydraulic chainsaw, jackhammer, rockdrill, impact. Etc

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I am installing a hydraulic hose reel like those found on the FLU419s and going to tap into the rear hydraulics on my 816. So I can have a reel of hoses so that I can use a hydraulic chainsaw, jackhammer, rockdrill, impact. Etc
That would be cool to have some hydraulic tools!

charlesmann

i used to have a hydraulic stanley rescue chain saw. I was told it was used by tapping in to an acft hydraulic system to be used for rescue by the first acft on the scene.
As for the full layout, i was curious as to what folks carry, not what the bii is. No sense in carrying tools that i wont use or duplicates of others. I also dont plan on operating it as the military did, but for log/tree recovery and loading. But with the limited reach of the boom, its almost useless for me.
which is why i was thinking of replacing the wrecker bed on the other 936, with a national crane 17tn or equivalent by another manufacturer.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Now you're talking! Hydraulic impact wrench...

That would be the ticket. I can imagine that a hydraulic wrench might be a little heavy and awkward - but there shouldn't be any shortage of power that way. The "squad" and the "rescue" fire trucks trucks in town have a hose reel of siamesed Synflex. Small lighter weight line - but perfect for the Jaws of Life and their cutting / extracting tools. Neat idea!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The SEE wrench is 3/4" is 1250ft lbs.

The chainsaw will rip thru anything with a 60in bar on it.

Even a hydraulic stick welder can be ran off the hydraulics

Id be fond of a pump mounted to my 816 transmission pto so I could run a bush hog behind the wrecker

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks