• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936A1 Wrecker Hydraulic Oil Drain and Filter Change

Drryan

Proud new owner of a M936 Wrecker! Drained the hydraulic oil for the first time and replaced the filter. Thought it would be helpful to tell others that the job wasn't as messy as I thought it would be. The drain valve nut on the 100gallon tank was rusted inside the valve, so I had to replace the entire valve with a new 3/4" ball valve. The most helpful thing was to place a thick plastic piece over the filler tube and zip tie it to put a suction on it. That way when I unscrewed the rusted drain valve and put the new one back in, I only lost about a quart of oil. Replacing the filter was easy. 4 bolts...back them out most of the way, then tap on the filter cover with a rubber mallet to release any pressure built up. Mine didn't have any pressure behind it, but putting the new filter in, I could feel some pressure built up. Check out the pics if you like. I bought 2 clean pickle barrels and a hand pump from Tractor Supply to pump the fluid back into the tank. 832 pumps later, I wish I had bought a 12 volt transfer pump and just used my car battery. Otherwise, buy a 120volt pump and plug'er in! If you need a good tricep work-out, buy the hand pump...

Attachments

charlesmann

Where did get your filter at?

I did the same with my 936, but the first timed i drained it, i put it in a 275gal plastic tote. The sec time i drained, i had to replace 2 lift cyl hyd lines. I didnt have an empty tote so i used 5 gal buckets, fuel cans and 2.5gal jugs. I too pulled my filter bc the indicator was pointing to ditry/change. I pulled it and only found a few small unk blue and white plastic pieces and very small amount junk in the housing. Soaked the filter in parts solvent for a day, blew the mesh out and reinstalled. I strained the solvent and ran a magnet through the strainer and found 1 sliver of steel the thickness of a sheet of paper and a fingernail amount of fine brass/bronze filings.

I started with pouring the jugs of fluid back in, but decided to get my 12v fuel xfr pump amd let it pull the fluid through a new filter. Took a while to pump the fluid, including 2 gal of lucas hyd stabilizer, but a lot less work and less spillage.

Drryan

I did the same with my 936, but the first timed i drained it, i put it in a 275gal plastic tote. The sec time i drained, i had to replace 2 lift cyl hyd lines. I didnt have an empty tote so i used 5 gal buckets, fuel cans and 2.5gal jugs. I too pulled my filter bc the indicator was pointing to ditry/change. I pulled it and only found a few small unk blue and white plastic pieces and very small amount junk in the housing. Soaked the filter in parts solvent for a day, blew the mesh out and reinstalled. I strained the solvent and ran a magnet through the strainer and found 1 sliver of steel the thickness of a sheet of paper and a fingernail amount of fine brass/bronze filings.

I started with pouring the jugs of fluid back in, but decided to get my 12v fuel xfr pump amd let it pull the fluid through a new filter. Took a while to pump the fluid, including 2 gal of lucas hyd stabilizer, but a lot less work and less spillage.
I bought it off of ebay...appears to be high quality

Reactions: 98G

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

@fuzzytoaster has em on his ebay store

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks