• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936A2 clunking sound

charlesmann

Today, i went to engage the rear pto and when i placed xmsn selector in 1-5, i heard clunk as the xmsn engaged. I went ahead and operated the rear winch, which took about 10 min total. I placed the xmsn in N, then discussed the troubleshooting with the wife. I crawled under the tck, had her put the xmsn in gear, then back to neutral numerous times, listening and feeling the xmsn, driveshaft and t-case. I could determine which component it could be, but ruled out the driveshaft since the joints were tight.

I did notice the xmsn pan was hot, as was the xmsn tailhousing, but xfr case was barely warm to the touch. I didnt temp gun the xmsn, but the gauge showed around 125F.

I decided to pull the tc drain plug and after looking at the black colored oil, decided to catch it for screening. After the oil was drained, i ran a pencil magnet in the drain port and pulled out some concerning ferrous particles.
2 pieces were very thin and about the size of thumb nail. 1 piece was about 1/16”thick and wide, and about 1/8” long. The rest looked like course ground pepper size gold flakes, but were of a ferrous metal.
I filled the tc with part wash solvent and took it for a 1/4 mile drive and pulled the plug and got more metallic flakes
See attached pics, and sorry for poor clarity.

Should i be concerned of an impending failure?

Any idea of the possible clunking cause? I never noticed the sound before, but thats not to say it hasnt been there the 2yrs iv had the tck, i just never noticed it till today.
I will change the xmsn oil and filter mid jan when i get back from work. But the xmsn oil is clear and smells like fresh motor oil, no burned smell.

Attachments

charlesmann

Left the shop towel and container to dry and let the particles settle overnight, but the wind blew them off the work bench. It seems the gold/bronze sparkles were either bronze or brass. I tried picking them back up with a magnet with no luck.
I guess ill push on and hope for the best after servicing the tc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks