• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936A2 front axle boot

charlesmann

i noticed the other day that my left front axle boot looks to be torn at the top and is damp, but not leaking. i DID look in the TM and could not find where it talks about replacing the boot. can someone help me find, if its there, the task (tm and page #) for replacing the boot. i did see the ring of bolts and the safety wire (crappy safety wire job) but not sure how far i need to disassemble the axle ends to replace the boots. i will replace them both, just need to know how big of an ordeal it is and if i need to get another tq wrench and any special tools.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
i noticed the other day that my left front axle boot looks to be torn at the top and is damp, but not leaking. i DID look in the TM and could not find where it talks about replacing the boot. can someone help me find, if its there, the task (tm and page #) for replacing the boot. i did see the ring of bolts and the safety wire (crappy safety wire job) but not sure how far i need to disassemble the axle ends to replace the boots. i will replace them both, just need to know how big of an ordeal it is and if i need to get another tq wrench and any special tools.

charlesmann

@simp5782
thanks for the vids. i'll watch them and go from there. hopefully the vids get into the manuals, simply bc for the past 20 yrs, 99.999% of the maint i do is, by the book. the army and the faa kinda frown upon work being done and not using the tm, especially if it causes the acft to go down. 20 yrs with NO blemishes (knocking on my head instead of wood), and i don't want to start now, even though i can just pull over on the shoulder of the road. but it could cause a head on collision, and i don't want that either.

TheQuaker

@ Charlesman

The steps you need for R&R of the boot are in TM 9-2320-272-23-3, WP# 409. Easy to do on a 5-ton. Just make sure to seal the zipper properly and let the sealer set up before finishing the install.

charlesmann

@ Charlesman

The steps you need for R&R of the boot are in TM 9-2320-272-23-3, WP# 409. Easy to do on a 5-ton. Just make sure to seal the zipper properly and let the sealer set up before finishing the install.
thank you very much sir. i thought the uh-60 a/l, bell 206 and robinson r22/44 manuals were vague and difficult navigate. but they aint got anything on the wheeled vehicle TMs. even the IPC isn't very explanatory on where what goes. but, boyce equipment has tune up and overhaul kits, and i'll make a list of the part numbers for seals, bearings and races, then do a local purchase if possible, and only buy the stuff not able to be sourced locally.
again, thanks for the help. i hate asking for help, esp since i have the manuals, and i do my best to read first, then ask if I'm still stumped.

@simp5782
compared to the mudflap guy, my boot problem is MINUTE compared to his.

i'll go ahead and inspect all 4 of my rear hubs with my eng cyl. inspection cam to see if i need to tear them down. but no evidence of grease on the CTIS fitting, I'm thinking i may not have enough lube and will need to tear them down. if so, i'll go ahead buy 2 rear and 2 front overhaul kits from boyce.

Last edited:

TheQuaker

No worries about asking for help. As I have discovered myself that is what SS is all about: information, help and group therapy :)

Getting familiar with the TM's can take some time but everything you need is there somewhere...just keep reading.

charlesmann

can anyone tell a good place to get an axle o/h kit from? boyce equip has kits, and for to much, but as sims said in another thread, if not using the ctis, i don't need the seals. so why buy the kit them, its just a waste of $. i didn't do a search to see if there was an alt./civi part number for the seals and bearing/cups, which i found the bearings/cups but no seals. I'm sure the local purvis supplier could get me a seal that matches the specs of the mil, but idk. won't know till i get the kit and take it up there.

also, as i mentioned in the blown hub seal thread, i didn't see sign of grease in 1 of my rear hubs. could a person pop the hub house on the front, and the axle shaft on the rear, and use an air or elec. grease gun with a needle tip and pump grease in the hub? at least the outside bering would be greased really well. only thing id be worried about is cross contamination or incompatible greases, if i went with the high temp axle grease from like napa or tsc.

thought on just pumping grease to the hub. good or bad idea?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks