• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936A2 Need Engine Assistance

sweetk30

friend of mine just got a m936a2 and on the way home it went BOOM .

its a 6/21/88 mfd / 6cta / bosch inj pump setup

lets just say there is no fixing this or saving parts .

were is a good place to find a 8.3 for this baby and it should be as complete as possible to make the swap better and save time playing with possible bad parts .

thanks for any leads guys .

also is there any swapability with civilian stuff with a 8.3 from something else ?

we did find a 2000 8.3 engine run/driving .

mcmullag

Both A2's I have had went thru rebuild and have engines rebuilt or built the year before the truck went thru rebuild 07 and 09. You may be able to find one in a can on the site where we buy trucks from the government. I just always look at vehicle on there, I don't go into the parts area. You may search around the classifieds here too and try to find folks parting out a M923a2 or M925a2 or a M927a2, etc. Best of luck.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is that bad it must have been catastrophic and we like to see pictures of catastrophic failures. We feel bad but it's like a train wreck you can't turn your head.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The rebuild kits are pretty cheap online and it can usually be done in cab. Heads are available also. Unless you cracked the block or something like that.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Also unless a grenade went off, there's still a ton of useful parts. (Injectors, lines, turbo, starter, accessories, injection pump, filter housing, sensors, valve covers, manifolds, exc.)

sweetk30

well yes it went :doh: BOOM BAD

twisted the timming cover around bottom left side of engine .

2 new huge inspection holes on block above oil pan rail line.

can see #1 rod main cap pointing up at head .

chunk of cam is M.I.A

we don't trust any of the old parts at this point from the engine.

so we did some digging around and for us north east guys not much out there and expensive . so the new engine might come from a base model 900 truck and save the rest of the truck for spare parts . hate to part out a good truck but what to do . we can get a base model unit for under 8k bucks . but he is still looking for options . that's why I told him I would ask here.

we are basicly looking for a 90-100% complete pull out with everything on the engine to run .

otherwise its a real clean m936a2 truck with no major signs of heavy use on the winch parts and stuff.

sweetk30

few pics of truck info .

and then engine block left side behind unit bolted on timming cover now shoved 45* off square with busted cover. also note front stub of cam broken off and stuck in block hole . and chunk of cam missing . cant see in this pic but #1 rod cap is pointing up at head . . . . owwwwweeee .

then busted cover shot .

and edge of smaller hole pass side block behind the oil filter/box thingy area .

pics best I could do with older phone and low light .

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

we don't trust any of the old parts at this point from the engine.

Even without having one of those trucks yet I think I'm safe in saying that there is still a lot of stuff on that engine that can be used again. I would bet that the lines didn't cause the detonation or the starter, valve covers.....you get the idea.

I sold a multi-fuel with a broken crank and destroyed block for quite a tidy sum because of all the parts on it.

Csm Davis

Man that sucks money in a bad way but when you get it out take lots of good pictures for us and see if you can find what caused it, will be good information for the future to maybe avoid this.

sweetk30

left upper jersey and got just over 100 miles up the threway out of pilly headed north . he was climbing a hill and mph around 20-25 and BOOM he said . no warning signs he heard or felt .

we found a few options sofar just got to see what pans out after xmas . also other tow truck ( reg old semi ) is in the shop wit broken wheel lift getting fixed so 1 project at a time.

this will be the new heavy recovery / crazy winch out / off road dumb A$$ calls tow truck when we get her going again .

sweetk30

thanks for the info guys . he said he can get me what we need no problems. and price was fair I think .

will keep this up to date as the story goes on .
well he said call back first of year for motor . so my boss who owns the broken 936 called today and he said he sold it few hr's early . . . he even said I had called and talked to him week or so ago and he wouldn't budge . oh well first come first serve . said he might part 1 out if he has the stuff on it all sold first so we can get a motor .

otherwise anyone else got any other lines on motor ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks