• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m936a2 road speed average time frame

sweetk30

having trouble and trying to pin point if its just the trucks normal or a problem with lack of power from normal.

I know the 936a2 is in the 38k lbs range so its a heavy old girl .

whats your average 0-30 or 0-40 mph time frame fairly flat ground ?

new to these big old trucks and trying to pin point if the truck has a engine / lack of power issue or not .

thanks for any help guys .

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Ive had M816s and M936 a1s and a2s.They are all very underpowered.Disappointing when climbing these hills up north..

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It's slow as molasses I have no idea how it was ever made to tow another 22k truck especially offroad. That being said the a2 really opens up with a better flowing air filter and 3 turns on the fuel screw. The trucks handicap is that its really heavy.
Will

quickfarms

They are slow trucks. Only 250 hp, 5 speed allison, gearing, and tall tires.

They are not the 400 or 500 hp trucks of today.

They do not drive like your car or light truck and they can not be driven that way.

That being said there are several checks that can be done to see is the transmission is set up correctly.

What is the engines no load governed rpm?

What does the transmission shift at?

Do you feel the torque converter lock up?

Are you light on the throttle?

sweetk30

this truck has been a bit of a problem child from the start .

had to replace motor didn't make it 100 mile in to trip home . ................. ahhhhhh

found another 8.3 from a power plant / crane or something it was in . fires right up and runs . but not sure if its tuned correct for this application now .

owner of truck paid local shop way to much to install motor . . . . I am redoing 1/2 the job over again so much stuff not correct / loose / un bolted still.

they said bring motor and we make it work . we get truck back and they didn't even swap the intercooler intake system over . W.T.F ? ? ?

so at some point I need to address this problem . with swapping this back on or rig up a intercooler maybe ?

but to start I am doing the basic check overs and stuff.

had to reman the upper 1/2 of the air compressor for blown gaskets and dead flat springs . working out the kinks in the down pipe off the turbo to the muffler . . . and more .

so once running again maybe sat I wana know what I should expect for road speed on flat road .

sweetk30

yes there is .....

3525488 assy
1251119 ser
same turbo #'s
3911350 inj #
210 hp @2200 rpm adv hp
116 fuel plate
6ct-8-3 model
0819 cpl

cummins said 89 year 2-22-89

if need be I have all old parts / engine . turbo / block is junk HUGE hole AKA window in bottom of block by air compressor .

so I can swap stuff to make it correct if need be .

we wont be using this old girl a ton just on crazy recovery tow calls for the area we are in . upstate ny in the country . otherwise sit and wait or summer fun parade shows .

maybe the once in a while stump removal job ha ha ha .

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Looks like a bit less HP than the original engine. Some light tuning can probably adjust for that though. I would get all the kinks worked out prior to doing it though. I find the truck useful as a boom truck around my lot but not really practical for a recovery operation that would require more than a few min of driving. Plenty of modern heavy duty wreckers around on call for a few hundred bucks. What are you planning on using it for?

sweetk30

Looks like a bit less HP than the original engine. Some light tuning can probably adjust for that though. I would get all the kinks worked out prior to doing it though. I find the truck useful as a boom truck around my lot but not really practical for a recovery operation that would require more than a few min of driving. Plenty of modern heavy duty wreckers around on call for a few hundred bucks. What are you planning on using it for?
read above . just edited post . sorry .

sweetk30

got the old girl fired up today .

no leaks on compressor . / coolent system / exhaust now .

let her warm up for a few then no load foot to the floor 2100-2200 was maxed out on tack .

also found mech/emergency shut down was not setup 100% and didn't work and also the throttle arm hit the housing clamp . over 1/2-2/3 throttle . flipped the clamp and reset the housing so the shut down now works perfect .

makes me think is the tranny cable set correctly since all the rest was off . . . the little u-bolt clamp o bracket for tranny cable housing looks like it has never been touched . but the adjustable pin for the end were it clips on at the fuel arm might have been moved .

Last edited:

FullSpecial

.mil CTAs are tuned to 240hp, 150ml from the pump. Had mine turned up on a bench to 180ml, 288hp if you do the cross math.
K&N truck filter and a bigger but not strait threw Donaldson muffler, does not roll coal but will get out of its own way when moving.

sweetk30

well it needs a muffler . bottom is rusted out bad . stick hand up in it .

got a part # for the muffler ?

and k&n filter drop in or fab work ? not afraid of doing that .

sweetk30

don't wana turn it up yet . since no cooler system was ever installed for the turbo .

been thinking a bit and might see if the boss wants me to tackle the intake swap .

if so I know the injection lines need swaped over no biggy I got those .

would the injectors be different ? from the 210 hp to the original motor .

and would it be safe / easy to leave the injection pump on it and just turn it up to match or hair over the original power level ?

the original pump from blown motor would you trust it ? the bottom of the engine went bang bad . blew out block both sides . and even snapped the air compressor off the timming cover .

Last edited:

FullSpecial

No cooler system for the turbo? CTA has a intra cooler, like a reverse radiator. Its the funny looking thing the turbo pipe connects to.
I would not trust the pump off a engine that went kaboom without taking it to a pump shop first. You can adjust in place, a number
of how too's here but you don't know exactly what you're getting.

WP_20150301_15_47_53_Pro.jpg

sweetk30

so I finaly got the old original engine tag back from the blown motor .

called cummins and they say the info is not avalible / blocked to them .

trying to find out if this replacement motor will be able to correctly / safe / no problems take the aftercooler intake unit ? ? ?

post 7 above has replacement motor info off engine tag .

also original was 8*apc timming .

and new replacement is 14* apc timming .

should this play a big roll in power ?

corvette9

When I bought my 936A2 I gave the fuel setting 3 turns and I think it pulls pretty good for what it is. It will run down the highway at 55-60 MPH on the flats.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll do 63-66 on the flatways with my M936A2. She's a little slow on the getup-n-go but the pump is stock if not under tuned..it did come from a hospital unit with only 200 miles since rebuild so I doubt they did much of anything with it.

painter paul

My M936A2 will put out a black cloud enough to half cover the truck till the turbo spools and the truck shoots out from under the fog. That's of course only from a dead stop. Always wondered if its
been turned up by the Army or if they all smoke like that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks