• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936A2 wrecker boom cable broke at clevis end with pics

wcuhillbilly

NOT a GOOD idea, 1/2" will snap as soon as anything bigger then a bush as soon as the lead end snags a stump, dirt mound, ect.

ordinarily I would agree with you,,, however Im not dealing with the big 3' diam oaks that I grew up around in the southern Appalachians,,, out here a large sagebrush is considered a tree and if a Ponderosa Pine is 8" in diam its considered old growth..... Im just pulling 10-15ft logs more for fire wood than anything else. If I end up doing any Real Logging I will certainly invest in some Real cable, especially if anyone but myself is involved,,,,, I only gamble with my life......

guns1977

On reassembly i used the original plug wedge and nut. If you were able to see it, i inserted the cable in the nut, put in a vice and the lenght of the wedge plus 2" i unwound all the wires, the plug in mine has a twist, once the cable wires are in place equally around the wedge i used a hammer and set the wedge in the nut then the extra wire sticking out i used channel lock pliers and twisted the wire in the direction it will thread back on, if you notice it has a little notch inside the pulley so when tightened it locks the cable on top of the wedge to help hold things in place. Mine worked like a charm lifting 5k lb bin blocks unloading and stacking. Hope this helps.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great to have a wrecker / crane safety operation posting every once in awhile...

Two points;
- Esmet fittings have a small hole in them so that upon reassembly, you can see that you have set the end of the cable in far enough before tightening the nut.
- Those "wedge" type fittings that have been mentioned are only rated at 80%. (Esmet type - 100%)

Re rain ingress, if you are worried about future corrosion, keep your rig set at two fall, the Esmet fitting will stay upside down, like a bat sleeping and will not let rain in. Resheave for single or triple only when needed.

z