• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 5 Ton Emergency Air Brake Release Pressure Switch

Jersey4x4

On the M939 trucks attached to the Emergency Air Brake Release valve mounted on the instrument panel is a pressure switch that is connected to the safety control module. It controls the light on the panel in front of the driver to tell the driver the emergency brakes have been disabled. I need a new pressure switch and have exhausted all my vendor options and also search options, and TM searching has been futile. Can someone point out on exactly what page in the TM this pressure switch is located and/or a part number for the switch. It is a very low pressure switch so it is not the same as the low air warning switches(Already tried them) Any help would be great. Thanks

Ford Mechanic

I've had good luck just taking it out and taking it to my local big truck shop. They have a catalog that gives all the specs for all sorts of different air switches.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have this for sale -

spring-brake-override-pressure-switch.jpg

M939 Spring brake override pressure switch - $15.00 + shipping
Used, in good condition. This pressure switch activates the "Spring brake override" light on M939/A1/A2 trucks. It could be used for other applications as well. It is a 2 pin, Normally open 60 psi pressure switch. P/N 11669414, PS4099. NSN 5930-01-090-7634.

Among other things listed here - http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ab-electrical-switches-air-system-brake-parts

Jersey4x4

Castle, That is actually the low air pressure switch. The spring brake override pressure switch operates at a much lower pressure then the 60psi rating. I am looking to find it in the TM so I can get the correct switch. I have 5 trucks here and every one has a different switch in it, 2 of which don't work.

Jersey4x4

Do a search with the P/N on the T/M and you will find it.
I found it in my tm 9-2320-272-24P-1 on page 132-1
Bingo!!! That's it. I did not see it in the 27 times I looked and none of the vendors saw it in the books either. I will pass the word to them as well. Thanks

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Castle, That is actually the low air pressure switch. The spring brake override pressure switch operates at a much lower pressure then the 60psi rating. I am looking to find it in the TM so I can get the correct switch. I have 5 trucks here and every one has a different switch in it, 2 of which don't work.
It is the same as the low air pressure switch, according to the NSN. This switch was attached to the spring brake override air valve through a reducer and 90 degree street elbow. It functioned correctly and made the light on the dash turn on when the spring brake override was engaged.

If you look here - http://www.parttarget.com/5930-01-1...-1.html/-a764634b-4be6-4464-8d90-977537967b0a - The P/N 12375453 and P/N 11669414 point to the same NSN and it is a 65 psi NO switch.

Also, look at Erik's Military Surplus P/Ns for it - http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/lowairprwasw.html

Jersey4x4

It is the same as the low air pressure switch, according to the NSN. This switch was attached to the spring brake override air valve through a reducer and 90 degree street elbow. It functioned correctly and made the light on the dash turn on when the spring brake override was engaged.

If you look here - http://www.parttarget.com/5930-01-1...-1.html/-a764634b-4be6-4464-8d90-977537967b0a - The P/N 12375453 and P/N 11669414 point to the same NSN and it is a 65 psi NO switch.

Also, look at Erik's Military Surplus P/Ns for it - http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/lowairprwasw.html
With the help from above I found it. The TM only lists a quantity of 2 of these switches on the truck when in fact 3 are used. The one truck I have the light will operate at well below 60psi, as it will function almost down to zero air in the tank. After finding it in the book, I decided to order a lot of them to replace them in all my trucks. I am tired of chasing electrical gremlins in the trucks from having the wrong parts installed, so I like seeing it in the TM to get the correct part, Not a part that will work. Thanks

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If it is pushed in then your spring brakes will not apply when the system has air pressure when you pull up on your emergency brake and listen for the "honk". Your spring brakes will apply when the system drops below 40 psi or you drain the tanks. The valve only overrides the spring brake system if the truck has air. . It allows air to pass thru it bypassing the linear valve that is hooked to the emergency brake handle assembly.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
And the air dryer in the back is psss popping soft air
Take a screwdriver and push in on the purge valve on the bottom of the air dryer. Up inside that little dust cover. It can cause a no air pressure building problem if its stuck out. If you need a replacement dash valve just send me your shipping address and I will send you one free of charge. Or you can take the dash valve loose. Remove the charging air line to it. Remove the 3/8" DOT fitting with the 1/8" male pipe fitting on the other side and install a cap on it. This will prevent air from passing thru it. That is a fix if you don't plan on ever using it. I don't run one of those valve on my truck at all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks