• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 5-ton water fording depth capability. How deep have you been in your truck?

js05

I have a m923a1 I think it has a factory deep water fording kit on it There is a pull/push handle on the passanger side thats says on it pull before fording The cable goes too the top of the motor to some control values Any one else have something like this on there truck? Or know how the deep water kit works

Mine has the fording kit as well. I believe these are valves that close the transmission and crankcase breather so no water gets in. I may be wrong about the valves so please correct me if I am wrong. As said before in previous posts it says 30'' deep with no fording kit and 78'' deep with the fording kit.

jaxsof

here's the TM. If you search here, you will find several of us have made our own versions. Mine hase 2.5psig air routed to the diffs, tc, trans and bellhousing, as well as a valve that closes the crankcase vent.

And, BTW, these trucks, unlike your toyota were designed in 1952, and around the assumption that manpower would be plentiful, and if SHTF, they(the trucks) were expendable.

Attachments

Just like jaxsof said he made a set up for the diff breathers. On the m939 series trucks I think one could just T into the air brake system which allows for the venting on the diaphragms. The air line is non pressurized and feeds right into the intake stack. I think that mod would be pretty easy. As for the transfer case I can't even find the vent for it. Is there even one? If anyone has done this to their truck pics would be appreciated.

emr

Hooper & Suprfkman THANKS!! They were GREAT Vids :) Loved the one with the Kids laughing, nothing sounds better than that !! And the In service truck bouncing into the water, AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I am working on getting a 923a2 they seem to be few and ar between but when I do find one I am definitely going to use it. Somewhere in CT there has to be a place for a little offroading fun.

jwesley74

We had our M923 stuck in 4' of mud/water for 16 hrs. Prior to this trip we lubed everything, ran snorkel vent lines to all Diff's and silicone sealed the air filter housing. After 16 hrs, we didn't have water in the intake, diffs, tranny or transfer case. So doing a little PM work we feel we can safely go in 4' without issue or up to the bottom of the bed. We have crossed holes as deep as 60" and had water on floor board of cab. But it was just a quick crossing, no standing/parking in it.

jwesley74

Did you take pics of it getting pulled out? What did you use to run the vent lines?
Will
Used 1/4 clear line & 1/4" barbed fittings on each differential. Took breather vent caps out and screwed in barbed fittings. Ran vent line up intake stack alongside fuel tank vent line. We also T'd the vent lines together as we ran to intake stack. Don't have pix but posted a video on here of it being pulled out by excavator. Snapped several ropes and bent a D-ring shackle straight, but we got it out. Only got stuck cause we backed in to pull someone else out.

If I can find video post I put it on here.

Rifleman

I am a United Auto Workers journeyman mechanic and i went to many training classes, in one of the classes i went to we had a rep from C/R seals come in to train us. In this class he told us that the design of the lip seal is designed to keep oil in the axle,transmission or transfer case, NOT TO KEEP water from making it's way into the axle.

That's the reason why the lip of the seal faces in toward the oil, so as to strip the oil off of the axle and the spring band behind the seal lip adds tension to the seal to keep it in tight contact with the axle shaft. Any time you drive in deep water SOME WATER will make it pass the seals and over time you will end up with rust and bearing problems, if water is left in your axle long enough the rust will pit the axle shaft and it will destroy the seals, bearings and axle shafts.

The first sign that you have a problem will be the oil you see leaking on your driveway, that is if you don't drain and change ALL THE OIL after driving in deep water. Remember they call it preventive maintenance for a reason.

tuff-truck-guy

man around here if you find water 30 inches deep you got either 20 inches of loose gravel or hard clay mud or slopy silt underneath, i "being no expert" would say if you feel its safe and the tm's say your good then ok if its not then its your judgement, "and your truck" unless u dive deep w no maintenance and sell it like a lot of people do, thats just not cool. but if your truck is at a forever home then do with it as you please. ( No offence intended toward anyone or any thing " just me 2 cents

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put me in the "avoidance" camp. Fording deep water lets water into places it should not be, like gear assemblies, wiring connectors, lamp housings and more.

I crossed some deep rivers my first year here, but the reality soon changed my excitement to a sober understanding of the costs associated with immersing a truck in water.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks