• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m939 A2.. if you could do everything possible ...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You can bring me your truck and ill modify it however you want. Stupid has a price and it requires a wallet this is as thick as a pillow

A 939 series truck with properly working ABS at 55mph to zero is competitive against any half ton pickup in my opinion if you can keep your face out of the windshield.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

sawdustnsteel

fellas, Im tracking the list of threads ( some I've asked questions on specifically) the goal was more to compile. everyone has their own things they do and believe is the "best" one thread that pretty much serves as an index of all the brilliant ideas that are being tried currently or have lasted long enough to be counted successful would be helpful not just to me but to everyone. ( think along the lines of a Frequently asked modification thread. ) then everyone can make a punch list of sorts for their own.

even if X only works on 931s its phrased along the lines of " yea I chopped a bed off a trailer the XXXX version works fine and fits on m931, but not on the short trailer hauling rigs"

etc

that really is the point. compiled lists of what you guys have done that work well and a bit of results. even a link to another thread that shows it in depth.

I have actually read through most of the threads ( I'm on page 11 currently in reading through the whole list.) Ive googled through a lot as well ( last night was reading about FLU419s and what results some people have gotten dropping the loader and backhoe buckets and modding them for expedition type driving) Im truly not trying to waste your time. IM trying to compile a singular thread with peoples best ideas as a starting point for getting into this whole cash sucking mess:D

74M35A2

Read the posts, study the results, set your target goals, plot a path to achieve them, set about said path, document the process, and post the results. It is a standard process across nearly every field.

The respected members here are so due to bringing something to the table. They give polite advice, troubleshooting tips, difficult to manuver legal/insurance/registration info, donate parts, work a 17 hour non-stop engine change marathon, paint a buddy's MV, tow home a broken MV, feed others cats and fish while away on vacation, etc.....

You are wanting to create a thread of no new information. We look forward to posts of your build(s).

sawdustnsteel

Thanks Porkysplace, Sawdustnsteel let's back up I want to thank you for your service and I see you are retired and I am going to assume something here and I am sorry if I am wrong but you are medically retired and under 30 and if this is true thank you for your sacrifice. Now back to the thread. Sorry for slamming you a little bit there but you really do need to do more reading, even a bike builder should know the difference between drum and disk brakes but I have heard worse from guys who considered themselves mechanics.
To build your Hulk Hummer (by the way a Hulk version has been done and there are pictures on here) this is what I would suggest you do track down a few members here who live near you and look, ride, and ask questions about their rides. This will help you get a better understanding of what direction you want to go. It sounds like you want one of the big Paris / Dakar service truck / race trucks? It can be done but you will spend huge sums of money to get there and a M939 is probably not what you need to start with.
If you are dead set on M939A2 You need to pick which one you are going to start with? Long wheelbase, short wheelbase, or standard cargo M923A2. Then do you want a winch and what kind of body? These are decisions YOU need to make before we can help you with THE HULK .
You can ask most anyone who has met me on here I will help you get the truck of your dreams if you will try to figure out what you want. This is just like building bikes YOU have to pick out what frame you want hard tail, soft tail, springer front, wide glide? We can't tell you if you want to use ape hangers, or drag bars until You pick out what you want to build.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
all good CSM,

actually I'm 43. med retired but I was still walking with a platoon in stan up til I was 41, a lucky shot put me in fort Living Room.

IM not in love with any specific variant which is why I'm holding out and forming a punch list of sorts of what is the most viable ( it does look like a 931 a2-a3 is more what I'm looking for, although the m923a3 seems to be a better option since the bed appears to have some value and can offset some purchases with selling it.)

speed is low on the list. bulk, and durability are more what I'm targeting ( plus HMMVs come up short for what I'm looking for.) I did consider a m35 multi fuel as a base but with the turbo on the 5ton there just isn't much comparison for potential I think.

grendel

I guess you really should tell us what the purpose is.

Every mod done is usually at the expense of something else.

They are purpose built trucks from the factory.

Me, my kids wanted to tinker, I want to haul two jeeps short distances on a trailer or haul a Cat D4 bull dozer off road, all bumper pull. I don't need a 5th wheel plate. I also didn't need the second axle in the back, reducing my turning radius or increasing my "on-frame" weight haul. I also have a lot of spare parts.

Did I mention I tinker, too?

So, I bobbed it, did rear air ride, installed air ride seats. I wanted more performance, so I am doing timing, pump mods and and injectors. Going air to air with the charge air cooler and doing stacks, because I want them.

For me, I want more power. Means a charge air cooler. I don't think the radiator needs to be replaced. Others do. No one size fits all.
For me, I want to stop faster (you saw the kits in my thread) that means disk brakes in front.
For me, I want more serviceable brakes - that means S cam brakes in the rear
For me, I want more cab comfort - that means air ride seats and AC
For me, I want better suspension, that means air ride rear

There are draw backs to everything I am doing.

So, what do you want to actually do with it?

Drive a big truck and look cool?

Last edited:

Jericho

Play nicely Gentlemen please, Its clear that we are all of the same casting. I acknowledge your practical experience and hands on knowledge, but some times the bedside manner is missing a beat or two. I find the threads in the archive to be less then superlative, Choosing the proper text to elicit the data is oft times difficult, ergo, people ask because they don't know exactly what to ask some times not all of the data comes thru. He has the same questions and thoughts most of us have had when first bitten by the green paint disease, and yes they are all old questions to you and some others, but all new to him. A couple of you bit my butt a few weeks ago when I prosed what I thought was a fair question, Lucky Iam an old grumpy retired SnNCO my self, I take it in stride and look for the knowledge, Some of my best training and insightful learning came from grumpy old war horses who were well past the desire to educate young airmen. All grumpy and guff, but useually as some point out , really good men who would do most anything to help. You got the knowledge , please continue to pass it on! I insisted for 20 years my Airmen read the tech manuals, understand how systems work and be REG informed, but I also saw every question as an opportunity to teach! Your ALL good guys ! and a little GRUMP occasionaly is a good motivator. (goota get back to my m 109 a3 camper conversion, read ALL the threads , and really need to put the tire back on my M 416 and adjust the brakes on my goat and the clutch on my other goat and That M 923 "Long Haul Camper / Jeep hauler is looming for winter time , I would do a thread if I could figure out how to really up load photos, just so little time I got this M 38 that I did a frame up on in Germany in the late eighties , needs a redo , and on it goes

Jericho

PS, Grendel your just down the road from me, Would love to look at your truck and pick your brain some day , Were you at weare ? if so I probably saw your truck , and my grandson got its photo , but sorry I missed you , so many new people to meet , Andy , ( had the M109 A3 parked on the left edge of the field in the trees with the M 105 trailer )

Jericho

would love to, next time iam headed South Ill give you a shout, get down there every few months if I can wangle a day off, Thank you sir ! do you ever get up bove the Notch ? Iam about 14 miles south off 302 from Littleton

74M35A2

A lot, actually. Looking for a house up there. We're currently climbing the 40.

Looking at houses in Thorton, mostly.
Cold Corona with 2 limes please. One squeezed and dropped inside, and be sloppy on the second so lime pulp is all over the bottle neck. Yummy, my fav.

74M35A2

I ride in 74M35A2's M925A2 once in a while and that does 67 when the pedal is to the floor and the governor does not let it go any faster than that. Its a good speed/control for the vehicle. I mean its a no brainer... hold it to the floor and the governor doesn't let it go any faster. For me, I wouldn't change that at all. It would use a little help on take off speed. I guess turning up the timing and some higher performance injectors and air filter mod to get it breathing better will help it out a lot. 74M35A2 has a real nice truck and lots of great things about it. The brakes are drum and they work amazing. They could send you through the windshield. I wouldn't change them at all, but again, that's me. His truck starts and runs great. If you could do any mods like timing, injectors, more air, intercooler to help it get better mileage/performance, that would be a plus. I just see the truck for what it is. Its never going to be "fast" like a civilian 4x4, but if you can refine it to get better mileage by making it run more efficient, why not? I would love a M939A2, but my deuce serves me well right now. Heck, you drive a stock deuce at a max speed of 50 for a while, 67mph will seem like a rocket ship. Ask any MV owner, the M939A2 is one of the few stock 6x6 MVs that will get up to modern highway speeds. That enough will make anybody jump for joy.
I'm buying you the Christmas Story leg lamp for Christmas.

The 67mph is resultant from the 2200rpm stock governor limit, as you said. That can be slightly increased a few clicks before it won't idle right anymore, or further increased with aftermarket governor springs. The truck will accelerate faster the less it weighs, so I broke my rear window out. Torn between installing the 30k BTU fuel fired heater or may have to just board it up for winter, and accepting ideas for such material. Political signs? Black garbage bag? Aluminum foil? Piece of shingled plywood? Window A/C unit?

"infidel got me" has some good ideas, but he is on double secret probation right now. Ask him about a catfish and why his neighbors don't have carpet anymore.

71DeuceAK

I love the window A/C unit idea but isn't that interfering with the already-equivilent-to-a-cinderblock aerodynamics of the truck?

For me, 67MPH in a stock M939A2 is going to be plenty, the highest speed limit in the places I'll be is 65 anyway.

sawdustnsteel

I guess you really should tell us what the purpose is.

So, what do you want to actually do with it?

Drive a big truck and look cool?

Ideally since I work in a home based shop welding and occasionally doing cabinets. Id like to have a project thats big enough to enjoy detail work on. IE body work with minimal bondo. ( doing bikes, all your evil is right there looking at you when its not perfect so to have a full on crew cab thats huge but STILL exacting, thats something I want to do and be proud of) BUT I also do shoot a lot out on BLM land, theres a lot to explore here in southern nevada so having a truck Im comfortable enough to run 100 miles out in the no where on and know ill not have to helicopter a part out to fix it after walking a week back home is important. but also having a truck thats monster huge, comfortable ( luxurious isn't a word I think one can ever use on a Mil vic) and a viable daily driver. Im not expecting super fast, spit n git highway speed, just something thats capable of everything a jeep is plus a bit more off road, can handle 10k a year on road, won't make you bored on a 300 mile trip down a highway or piss off every trucker who has to pass you which means 65 at a constant on interstates.

the thing is I'm aware the more added the more potential for breakdown. its finding the balance in a daily driver that doesn't make you nervous to take off road 100 miles from everything and get you home easily.

im expecting a constant project, at least a weekend a month to maintain it. ( I'm no stranger to PMCS) but I don't want to build something I have to put a wrench to every time I drive it for 5 hours. and I want it comfortable, decadent even. serious AC, smooth riding, just roller coaster over off road rocks, and sail on hardball. ( which likely means hard stiff leaf springs that come with will be coming off.)

oh and I want overloaded to not be possible… ( which is why I want to bob and crew it, if I end up with a bed thats 8'2" WIDE and 4' long thats not enough to stack it down with pallets and have issue )

sawdustnsteel

I love the window A/C unit idea but isn't that interfering with the already-equivilent-to-a-cinderblock aerodynamics of the truck?

For me, 67MPH in a stock M939A2 is going to be plenty, the highest speed limit in the places I'll be is 65 anyway.

granted I realize the joke in it but has anyone ever mucked with overall aerodynamics? ( id thought of an MATV oshkosh hood with the big slope on it but its likely going to have to be lifted so high as to be dang near the same flat nose as a stock hood/front grill.
I kinda think it a pipe dream to make a land yacht into a vette but have to ask if anyone tried something or has seen something that cuts down on the big box. id even wondered if anyone has chopped a cab with any success. ( id think chopping a top would be probably the most tedious thing to do to a 5 ton, that a lot of glass to mess with.)

grendel

Ideally since I work in a home based shop welding and occasionally doing cabinets. Id like to have a project thats big enough to enjoy detail work on. IE body work with minimal bondo. ( doing bikes, all your evil is right there looking at you when its not perfect so to have a full on crew cab thats huge but STILL exacting, thats something I want to do and be proud of) BUT I also do shoot a lot out on BLM land, theres a lot to explore here in southern nevada so having a truck Im comfortable enough to run 100 miles out in the no where on and know ill not have to helicopter a part out to fix it after walking a week back home is important. but also having a truck thats monster huge, comfortable ( luxurious isn't a word I think one can ever use on a Mil vic) and a viable daily driver. Im not expecting super fast, spit n git highway speed, just something thats capable of everything a jeep is plus a bit more off road, can handle 10k a year on road, won't make you bored on a 300 mile trip down a highway or piss off every trucker who has to pass you which means 65 at a constant on interstates.

the thing is I'm aware the more added the more potential for breakdown. its finding the balance in a daily driver that doesn't make you nervous to take off road 100 miles from everything and get you home easily.

im expecting a constant project, at least a weekend a month to maintain it. ( I'm no stranger to PMCS) but I don't want to build something I have to put a wrench to every time I drive it for 5 hours. and I want it comfortable, decadent even. serious AC, smooth riding, just roller coaster over off road rocks, and sail on hardball. ( which likely means hard stiff leaf springs that come with will be coming off.)

oh and I want overloaded to not be possible… ( which is why I want to bob and crew it, if I end up with a bed thats 8'2" WIDE and 4' long thats not enough to stack it down with pallets and have issue )
You're looking at the wrong truck.

Too many conflicting ideals.

Examples:
An M939 will never be better off road than a modified Jeep. Too heavy, too big in every dimension.

They can be made comfortable, sure, but why start with the most non comfortable rig?

You're talking re-gear, add power, re-cab, etc - all something that is possible, but easier on a more common chassis. Why start with something you have to change everything on?

Chopping the cab is easy. It's all flat planes.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Examples:
An M939 will never be better off road than a modified Jeep. Too heavy, too big in every dimension.

They can be made comfortable, sure, but why start with the most non comfortable rig?

You're talking re-gear, add power, re-cab, etc - all something that is possible, but easier on a more common chassis. Why start with something you have to change everything on?

Hmmmmmm, if one could obtain a TAK-4 suspension, the ride would improve.... :mrgreen:

sawdustnsteel

Examples:

"capable of" the going the same places a stock jeep can like a CJ5.. not capable of being modded to **** and back and now is a rally car and no longer a jeep in anything but name:D

actually, an M931 is capable of going places a stock jeep isn't. so its not much to ask for to equal that bar in a modded m931.

sawdustnsteel

on chopping,

I can't see where it would be worth it necessarily.
with air ride seats, less head height is going to be knots on top in short order..
I'm mostly wondering if anyone has seen it done.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I ride in 74M35A2's M925A2 once in a while and that does 67 when the pedal is to the floor and the governor does not let it go any faster than that. Its a good speed/control for the vehicle. I mean its a no brainer... hold it to the floor and the governor doesn't let it go any faster. For me, I wouldn't change that at all. It would use a little help on take off speed. I guess turning up the timing and some higher performance injectors and air filter mod to get it breathing better will help it out a lot. 74M35A2 has a real nice truck and lots of great things about it. The brakes are drum and they work amazing. They could send you through the windshield. I wouldn't change them at all, but again, that's me. His truck starts and runs great. If you could do any mods like timing, injectors, more air, intercooler to help it get better mileage/performance, that would be a plus. I just see the truck for what it is. Its never going to be "fast" like a civilian 4x4, but if you can refine it to get better mileage by making it run more efficient, why not? I would love a M939A2, but my deuce serves me well right now. Heck, you drive a stock deuce at a max speed of 50 for a while, 67mph will seem like a rocket ship. Ask any MV owner, the M939A2 is one of the few stock 6x6 MVs that will get up to modern highway speeds. That enough will make anybody jump for joy.
You need to ask him how come his A2 couldn't get out of the way of the old 250 A1 that was towing a trailer. If i had a horn that sounded mean i would have used it to get his slow truck out of the way. HA!

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks