• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 Air Condtioner

sandcobra164

I've searched and not found what I'm looking for so far. I'd like to add air conditioning to my M923 with the 855 Cummins engine. I'm sure I'll use a kit from a HMMWV or MTVR as there are some in the classifieds but I'm curious as to the availability of brackets to mount the compressor to the engine. Has anyone gone down this road or will I owe my friend who is a local fabricator a small fortune to fabricate one? It's not too hot for me but my wife kinda likes things on the cool side in the summer or she won't ride in it.

sandcobra164

Davo727,
That helps alot!!! Thank You for linking a thread that I somehow could not find, I've learned alot and will get cracking on it soon!

Joseph

Artisan

The Red Dot R-9777 unit would be my first choice once your
compressor situation is squared away. I believe it has a built
in condenser and it is Heat and A/C. There is enough real estate
on top of a hardtop, weight is an issue. That can be handled
by a cantilevered mount off of some M66 gun mount risers and a 4" x 4"
crossmember then cantilever off that, or, just let it sit up there
and hope for the best.

I was all gun hoe on it, my compressor is mounted, I have the cantilevered
assembly designed and some of it built then my M916 was born. I have
the base for under the r-9777 drawn in CAD, I need funds to finish.
$3K ought to do it. HA!

I'll geter done some day.

74M35A2

I bought a Red Dot R-9777 cab roof unit. Artisan is correct, in that this does contain the evaporator, condenser, pressure switches, charge ports, fans and controls for both, and the receiver. All that is needed is a compressor (24v clutch or resistor or 24/12 relay) and lines to it. I bought mine NOS from eBay, as this was the only unit I wanted, cool air is instantly effective if dropped from the top down since it falls rather than having to fill the cab with cold air until you are surrounded by it. Warm air rises, etc.... Also all the H1 kits take up a lot of cab space which there is none of already. I wanted A/C only, and the R-9777 can be optioned with or without a heater core inside of it. Mine was without, which I was fine with. A few have put an MRAP HVAC box where their stock heater core is, and this looks OK, but will only have limited cooling ability as it can't recirculate the cool cabin air. I have an 8.3 925A2, and made my own compressor mount. Bought the correct kit then resold it because I want to stay serpentine belt with spring tensioner. The links above for mounts are ungodly expensive. I would suggest looking at truck parts yards, a lot of 855's had A/C, you should be able to grab mounts to work for you for under $100. You can even get an alternator pulley with additional groves and drive it above there, for example. Here is a few shots of my R-9777, not yet installed: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?137049-Red-Dot-R-9777-Install-on-M939A2 I did not use the Sanden Flex-7, there is a higher output compressor from them that I went with on their website, forgot the name of it. 12V clutch only on it, so I will just use a 24 relay and feed the contact side 12V, and 24v on the relay coil side from the rooftop unit switch.

Last edited: