• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 as a welder power supply?

Mos68x

Has anyon used their trucks to weld? I found myself in immediate need to change plans on how I was going to weld my ISO frame together so that it can be mounted to the truck. I think I might still have my old 90A HF welder around here somewhere if I absolutely have to go that route, assuming I can find it. But since www.readywelder.com has an option for using the NATO plug on their MIG spool gun I thought ugh I’d ask you guys if you’ve ever done it. I could use my ready welder version but I’d have to get the NATO plug and different spools of wire, as well as some more cover gas. If I can just arc weld with the rods that I already purchased for the project I would be a lot happier.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yeah you can get a ready welder. Or you need to put a low resistance inductor on the lines. You would want to update your alternator cause it will draw alot while the truck is running. ARC welding would hold the box just fine.

I wouldn't trust a mig for anything other than just small stuff. Especially any flux cord stuff.

Or You can go to a hydraulic welder unit and add a pto and all that junk to your truck. So you would have a 250 unit and stick anything to anything you want.

Mos68x

Yeah you can get a ready welder. Or you need to put a low resistance inductor on the lines. You would want to update your alternator cause it will draw alot while the truck is running. ARC welding would hold the box just fine.

I wouldn't trust a mig for anything other than just small stuff. Especially any flux cord stuff.

Or You can go to a hydraulic welder unit and add a pto and all that junk to your truck. So you would have a 250 unit and stick anything to anything you want.
I already own one of those welders, and they work great even for thick stuff because they use pure DC from batteries and can deliver 350A. I would use it, but I don’t think I have enough cover gas and besides I’d have to get a few rolls of .040 or .045 wire, which is gonna be more expensive than what I already paid for the 7013 rods.

I was already thinkin of gettin one of the newer alternators so this might just kick it into gear, thanks for the heads up. I’d have to use the readywelder without the truck runnin unfortunately, unless I use the inverter from the house to power the circuit board in that MIG gun. I’ve already fried one circuit board on it trying to run it while charging batteries at the same time. And yes, I hate flux core wire too. Ready has a version that includes the NATO plug which I might have to get separately from them or elsewhere to use it with the truck.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What size are your 7013 rods? You wont likely have very good luck with bigger rods at 24v.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mos68x

What size are your 7013 rods? You wont likely have very good luck with bigger rods at 24v.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If memory serves correctly, I’ve got 5/32” and 1/8” both. I just can’t remember which one I bought two boxes of. Hopefully those three boxes will be enough to finish it all.

98G has several welders he needs to try out. Or you can borrow mine, it's already been to AZ once.
John made mention of it to me already, made a work trade proposition too, we shall see if his trip to PHX pans out to make it worth it for him to drive out this way.

I would use 7018s

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
I will take a picture of them tomorrow, they very well could be ‘18s instead, can’t remember for sure.

6010-5P is my favorite rod. Makes me look good. 98G can do 7018 and it looks like art when finished.
When I was looking at the Lincoln chart before purchasing the rods I got were the best choice for their intended purpose. Rods don’t make a mans welds look great or bad (unless it’s flux core then it always looks like shlt lol), his skill or lack of do that for him lol Although I do have to admit that’s one reason I love TIG welding, they almost always look like pure gold lol

Wtf are you gonna weld to need .40 or .45 wire?!

Unless its 1/4 or thicker youll just burn holes in it.
Parts of it are 1/2” plate, the webs of the channel and I-beam are 1/4” and those are the thinnest parts of anything to be welded.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If memory serves correctly, I’ve got 5/32” and 1/8” both. I just can’t remember which one I bought two boxes of. Hopefully those three boxes will be enough to finish it all.

John made mention of it to me already, made a work trade proposition too, we shall see if his trip to PHX pans out to make it worth it for him to drive out this way.

I will take a picture of them tomorrow, they very well could be ‘18s instead, can’t remember for sure.

When I was looking at the Lincoln chart before purchasing the rods I got were the best choice for their intended purpose. Rods don’t make a mans welds look great or bad (unless it’s flux core then it always looks like shlt lol), his skill or lack of do that for him lol Although I do have to admit that’s one reason I love TIG welding, they almost always look like pure gold lol

Parts of it are 1/2” plate, the webs of the channel and I-beam are 1/4” and those are the thinnest parts of anything to be welded.
You probably meant 6013 rods. Which are ok. 7018 is good for 70,000lbs. More than what the steel is rated for. 1/2" plate will break before a double pass would

Mos68x

You probably meant 6013 rods. Which are ok. 7018 is good for 70,000lbs. More than what the steel is rated for. 1/2" plate will break before a double pass would

I bought them for use after the RV use of the truck is finished and I could be hauling loaded containers across unmaintained roads in SA. I’d rather it be the steel that fails instead of a weld. At least that I have no control over after original material choice. All of the material for the frame is going to A36 so it should be plenty strong for the intended purpose. Hopefully I haven’t underestimated anything lol

Lukes_deuce

If your going to perform this entire project at home, wouldnt it be easier to just buy a cheap 220 stick welder with variable voltage? Something like a buzz box or a miller thunderbolt would be perfect for your 7018 or 6011. There not expensive used and run on a regular 30 amp 220 plug. I used a ready welder to make a trail repair, using the slave plug and it sucked. Maybe Im spoiled with the equipment Im used too, but that spool gun was POS. I have an old dialarc at home which is nothing to brag about, but atleast I have some adjustability to account for rod type and material size.

Mos68x

DA41D7EF-9477-49D3-A571-27924C46FDD5.jpg861E747D-E3C5-40A2-AF70-7679D8ED4B63.jpg

I pulled the welder out and was going to fix the coolant pipe, but I found a rusted rats nest of wire inside the spool gun instead. Guess it’ll have to wait till new wire shows up before I can test it on the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks