• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 Axle Nut questions

kfrosty

I've been searching an hour and haven't found anything specific to the M939. I've got a bolt broke of in the axle hub and need to get it off to take it to a machine shop and get it out.

A tape measure shows the outer nut at 4.5" I'm not sure what the larger, inner one is.

Does anybody know the exact sizes and any place to get these?

I found this place from another thread.

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool-warehouse/OTC-1938.html

It looks like somebody tightened it with a chisel but I'm looking for the proper sockets to take it off and torque it back on.

Thanks

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
4-3/8" (OTC #1917) for the outer and 4-7/8" (OTC #1919) for the inner. Both are 8 point.

Last edited:

kfrosty

Actually from the TM.

Bearing adjustment nut is the inner, larger nut.

Install hub (6), outer bearing (4), and bearing adjusting nut (3) on spindle (5).
While rotating hub (6), tighten bearing adjusting nut (3) 50 lb-ft (68 N•m).
Back out bearing adjusting nut (3) 1/8 to 1/4 turn so washer (2) can be aligned with slot onspindle (5) and locking pin on adjusting nut (3).Install washer (2) and outer bearing nut (1) on spindle (5).
Tighten outer bearing nut (1) 250-400 lb-ft(339-542 N•m).
Apply sealant to mating surface of hub (6) and inside of flange on axle shaft (7).
Install axle shaft (7) on hub (6) with ten new lockwashers (8) and screws (9). Tighten screws (9)60-100 lb-ft (81-136 N•m).

That's again SwampDonkey!

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have the sockets if you want drive to gainesville, ga. , I WILL loan them to you

kfrosty

I have the sockets if you want drive to gainesville, ga. , I WILL loan them to you
Thank you for the offer. I've got 3 900 trucks so I need them anyway. The OTC prices I think are extremely fair and I'll order them Monday.

On that note, can I expect not to have any problem getting the hub off without having to replace and seals or bearings. This is an A2 with CTIS. I just need to get the hub off to take it to get a bolt out. (My extractors have failed and I have a mess.)

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did the same locker swap on my A2 last year.

Regarding reusing the seals when I pulled my hubs I was able to do it without damaging the seals or bearings, I went ahead and replaced the inner seal anyway since I had purchasd them in advance and didn't want to tear it apart sometime later.

Unfortunately in the process i knocked the CTIS seal out of position, you are supposed to use a special driver to install the seal, I was able to reinstall the seal using a turned down piece of pvc pipe.

Be carefull when pulling the hub off the spindle and you should be OK.

Regarding the broken bolt I have had good luck using a wire feed welder to carefully weld a nut to the broken bolt and removing. If its not broken off too deeply weld down through the center of the nut, usually the welding heat will loosen the broken piece up enough that not much torque is needed for removal.

kfrosty

Unfortunately in the process i knocked the CTIS seal out of position, you are supposed to use a special driver to install the seal, I was able to reinstall the seal using a turned down piece of pvc pipe.
How did you do this or know it was out of position. I'm assuming one of your seals moved and covered the air hole shown on 3-1263 of the TM?

For anybody else, the TM on this appears to be TM 9-2320-272-24-2 Starting with section 3-461 for the rear hub. The front hub is the section before.

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The CTIS seal was at an angle, possibly it got hung up on the spindle when i removed the hub. When i went to pull the hub it took much more effort than i expected To get it to move the first half inch or so. Perhaps the seal got hung up.

Did you have any problem pulling your hub?

kfrosty

The CTIS seal was at an angle, possibly it got hung up on the spindle when i removed the hub. When i went to pull the hub it took much more effort than i expected To get it to move the first half inch or so. Perhaps the seal got hung up.

Did you have any problem pulling your hub?
No. I just tapped the back of the lug nts on both sides. When it came loose i kept it off the spindle pulling it off. It seemed to go back on fine.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks