• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 behind the cab platform

wsucougarx

Hey guys, I'm not exactly sure that this thing is but I am looking for one. Anyone know what it was used for? I have seen them with magnets and other without magnets. Is it somekind of locator beacon when in the field? GPS? Anyone know where a guy can buy one?
I did put a listing in the classifieds but just checking to see if anyone has ran across them from a retailer.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M936 didn't have one. I'll go out on a limb and say it's for a GPS. Kind of like what you see a lot of civilian big trucks using these days.

Vintage iron

I have seen something just like that. It was used to keep birds of prey from building nests on the power lines. Maybe the military was have trouble with eagle burning their talons on exhaust stacks. rofl

Hammer

I saw one truck with a rotator/beacon on that pedestal. Not sure that was it's purpose though, as that is a beefy mount!

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My initial plan was to use it as a mount for the rotating beacon but now I am going to pull the whole spare tire mount assembly and muffler out of there and build a behind the cab headache rack toolbox. Rotating beacons will go on top of that. There will be pictures once I get started on it. Still need to get the exhaust piped out the back first.