• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 CTIS Reprogram, Anybody Done It?

grendel

Not selling one, donating to the cause. I want to reprogram CTIS and get mine working really well on the 16R20's I installed on my bobber.

grendel

If your question was for me, yes. I am not selling one. I will donate one to the reprogram program. IE Rooster.

If you want to buy one, I suggest you post a thread in the appropriate channel.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what happened to the OP and the work he was doing?

Was sounding like he was headed in the right direction.

74M35A2

You rang? Yeah, I downloaded the Dana program, bought the communication adapter they recommended, then fabricated a "T" harness to use it. I could not get it to communicate. I did not (yet) try the bus termination resistors like suggested, which may fix it. It seemed like it was "close" at establishing the connection, because I think I did see lights flash for both travel directions.

Let me dig it up and try again with the resistors. I packed it all away in a box and went to town on designing the 8.3L A/C bracket kits.

therooster2001

74M, which model CTIS ECU do you have? I am betting the Eaton's were too old for 1939, but we could get lucky. I have a newer model Dana which says has the pins, but unsure of the flash. I also have two different Arduino CAN and 1708 readers. I am still holding out hope on the 1708 for the Eaton's, which I did wire but didn't run then with RS485. If you can't get yours with resistors, send that harness my way, please? If you do get it, I'll use the same method and buy my own ends to complete my monitoring system...

74M35A2

Not sure exactly the version of CTIS module I have, but all the terminals are present at the connector of it, but not on the vehicle side harness (comm pins missing, 4 if I remember right, check earlier posts in this thread for exact details).

When I downloaded the free diagnostic software from Dana, the help file in there contains 3 advised RP1210A communication link adapters. When I called and spoke to the CTIS tech guy, he advised the top one labeled #1 from that list, the NEXIQ unit, so I bought and installed it. It and the program run correctly on my laptop. From the software, you can chose to connect via either J1708 or J1939 protocals.

I'll try the resistors in the next few days. You can diagnose and change all the settings from what I see in the software demo. Would be fun to play with. I heard somebody say maybe these M939A2 modules can't communicate, but that maybe the xMTV ones can. They seem to be the same module, only difference being reverse button order I think. If somebody has such unit and wants to send it I can try to communicate with it installed in my 1990 M925A2 and the diag setup I have.

therooster2001

74m, can you send a pict of the label? Check the earlier post a page back on which models are supposed to be able to communicate. Doesn't mean Eaton can't, but I can't find any manuals for them...

74M35A2

OK. Let me try the bus termination resistors, I'll check and post my CTIS controller label, and then try the xMTV controller being offered (will quickly return it regardless of result), in about that order.

therooster2001

Not dead, just on hold. 74M needs to try and get the terminators working. I am trying the 1708 protocol route with old Eatons and then going the harness route on the newer model. My model at least says it's supposed to have the protocols, but again, it could be the flash, and we don't get anything. I have some ordering to do, and I was scheduled to go yesterday to test out the 1708, and I got called into work. Life gets in the way sometimes.

I built a manual control unit for my buddies M923 he didn't have much money to throw at it for parts so after a system pressure check and fixing any leaks we still couldn't get the system to work right and I think the unit on the floor is the culprit. The manual control works great and he now can pick any pressure from 20psi up to 120psi if he so chose to. Cost was about $50. I know this doesn't help fix or diagnose the controller unit but it's a cheap alternative.

ramdough

I built a manual control unit for my buddies M923 he didn't have much money to throw at it for parts so after a system pressure check and fixing any leaks we still couldn't get the system to work right and I think the unit on the floor is the culprit. The manual control works great and he now can pick any pressure from 20psi up to 120psi if he so chose to. Cost was about $50. I know this doesn't help fix or diagnose the controller unit but it's a cheap alternative.
Do you have a write up or instructions? I prefer the push buttons, but I am interested in how the manual setup works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks