• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 Front Axle Shaft Hi-Tech

99nouns

Hello all,

I was fooling around GL and saw the following, previously I did a complete tear down knuckle boot job on my 927 and the front axle shaft that I had was with u-joint and when I saw this I was like wow, that's some hi tech u-joint, I wonder what the mechanics of that or how it works.
Is it actually dust/sand proof, like you would never need a Knuckle boot ever again?

M939 Axle Shaft02.jpgM939 Axle Shaft01.jpg

And the ones I had was like this

IMG_1022[1].jpgIMG_1021[1].jpg

Sorry mines are not very good pictures, I covered it so it wont pickup dust and forgot to snap a pic when bag was off.
But it did look just like a u-joint on a driveshaft.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It looks like the open part with the long shaft would be where the boot would go and the shorter shaft drives the hub. I could be wrong though.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a constant velocity (CV) joint like what is on modern front-wheel drive cars and 4x4s with independent front suspension. It definitely needs a boot, more so than a U-joint.

Blarsen

It is called a birfield Joint, it is what Toyota uses in the straight axle Land Cruisers, it requires the knuckle to be filled with grease and they also have a wiper seal like a 5 ton.