• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 Knuckle Boot Poll RUBBER vs SILICONE

What material is best

• Total voters

99nouns

Hi all, and happy holidays,

I am getting ready to replace my boots on my M927-A2 and there are three material kinds of boot out there;

China Rubber
USGI Rubber
Silicone

I have searched the forms but nothing specifically compares Silicone vs Rubber, only Zipper vs No/Zipper.

Now your thought below please.

Thank y'all to those participate,

:grd:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The title says "poll", where's the poll?

Edit, I added a poll.

Last edited:

MtnSnow

I currently have GI Rubber but when I do my next boot replacement I'm leaning towards trying the silicon version as hopefully it will be less prone to cold weather cracking

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I bought a rubber aftermarket version and a mil version and ended up using the aftermarket rubber one but had to use the wire from the mil one good thing I had both.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do not want to take the hub& axle apart I would use USGI rubber, I have not had very good luck with the China rubber ones.
If you do take the hub & axle apart I would use Silicone.

99nouns

One thread suggested that silicone vs rubber is Silicone more durable vs time, movement and weather effects whereas rubber is better vs deep fording, flying rocks, tall bushes or branches, and basically all enviromental effects.

I guess all depends on where you will be driving.

Is it in and out of tight parking lots or offroading extreme.

acme66

I used the non-zipper Silicone. Seems to be holding up fine under a bunch of miles but little abuse in terms of deep mud, rocks or stick damage.

Ken

ke5eua

While I have a M818, not a 900 series I'll chime in anyway since I changed my boots. I went with the silicone ones, I ended up tearing one, didn't even notice it till all was put back together. When I change them out I'm going to go back to stock. If it's good enough to work in the environments for the military it should be good enough for parades and such.

Ford Mechanic

I replaced 1 of mine with a stock unit earlier this year and it's already torn. I didn't particularly like this boot to start with cause the zipper was riveted on and it made the hold down flange not lie flat.

Last edited:

99nouns

I guess I am going with Silicone, now I need complete parts list please chip in what I need for a Complete tear down.

Recipe

2x Silicone boots
2x Gasket for hubs
2x Oil Seals
1x Brake Cleaner
Grease what kind?
20x Lock Washers?

Please add if I am missing anything.

99nouns

I know it has been long time (which is a good thing) well not too long, I did change my rubber boots to silicone boot on 4/3/2015 (after I bought the truck).

IMG_1090.jpg

And just yesterday I saw there was a 1" horizontal rip on the top part of one side only. (pic coming soon)
I really don't like those tie rings, that tie screw on top is where the rip is and think it might be is the cause.
No mud, no bush, no water, no high grass, today being 8/22/16 it lasted about 1 year 4 months.

No I ain't ripping that front end a part again...

IMG_0716.jpgIMG_1001.jpgIMG_1005.jpgIMG_1014.jpgIMG_1050.jpgIMG_1026.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks