• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 LWS Install Question

74M35A2

On an M939 LWS install, there is a 90 degree angle iron that connects the front brackets to the cab as additional support besides the bolts through the door hinges and frame. These angle irons bolt to the brackets, and then have bolts that go perpendicular to the truck length, and go through spacers that are welded to the strip and into the cab.

Questions are: 1. Is the cab drilled to recess these spacers? I saw WSUCougar did this, but I am unsure it is correct. If so, then what is the strip actually bolting to? Additional metal under the outside cab surface?

Question 2. What is done for nuts on this same inside connection? Are they single loose nuts? A nuts strip? I don't see how a nut strip could even fit back in there behind the vent door. I can't even get my hand barely back there.

Pics attached, one the loose angle iron, and the second is installed on a cab already, not mine. Another is the angle iron with soacers attached to the bracket, but not installed on the truck. Thanks.

IMG_2101.jpgIMG_2102.jpgIMG_2110.jpg

Posted link to this in gun truck dept also. Advise if not allowed.

Last edited:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cab is drilled and there is a strip with nuts welded to it that goes inside the vent cavity. Yes, they are a giant pain. I'll see if I can get you a photo of the strip.

74M35A2

Helpful, thanks. I can make the nut strip.

Are the outer cab holes drilled large enough for the spacers to pass through the cab skin and the angle iron to sit flush to the cab? If yes, then drill a second set of smaller diameter holes through an inner plate, and the nut strip then on the back side of the smaller inner holes?

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not 100% sure what it passes through or how thick it is, but yes, thats the gist of it, yes.

74M35A2

Helpful, thanks. So focusing on the holes that go directly into the side of the cab, what size are they (drill bit), and then if you look into one with a light, is there a smaller diameter hole further inside in a second piece of metal at a deeper layer?

Sorry to drive everybody nuts with this. Appreciate the help.

74M35A2

Thanks. PM sent. Still needing front angle bracket drill and install explained. Also seeking one rear U bolt if anybody has one, sling, UPA, etc....., still have a lot to learn.

74M35A2

Got this bracket mounting question answered. It is as I expected. Larger outer holes, smaller inner holes, and nut strips. I'll have to make the nut strips unless anybody has 2 extra for sale. Thanks again for the responses here. Only need to figure out how to get the nut strip in there.

IMG_2204.jpg

camoyj7

If you find a factory nut strip or make them grind the corners off and grind off any extra material to the nuts on both ends. Not much room to get these in and taking off that little bit really helps.

Attachments

74M35A2

10-4, good point. Thanks. Do they just get put in from the outside of the vent door and snuck around the edge?

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to do this project as well on a buddy's truck. He is useless with tools. I have to check his oil for him ... yeah. Buy, he will buy a .50 cal to mount on it, so the work is worth it!��

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a lot of work and $$$ to get the full setup for the LWS, but in the end it is worth it. I have a hard top that is in bad shape and needs some work, my plan is to cut a hole in it and add hatch to it.

Attachments

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks cool! We have the ring and a brand new hard top. Just need the install time and energy, which is hard to muster since it's his truck and not mine. But the thought of driving around shooting the 50 cal is motivation enough. We each have a ranch and both of us have large gun ranges suitable for this kind of shenanigans.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks cool! We have the ring and a brand new hard top. Just need the install time and energy, which is hard to muster since it's his truck and not mine. But the thought of driving around shooting the 50 cal is motivation enough. We each have a ranch and both of us have large gun ranges suitable for this kind of shenanigans.

Thanks, That sound like fun!

74M35A2

No, I do not have a 50 cal for it, yet. Trying to price out a single shot home built kit. Don't even know where to start on that. Not a big gun buff. Not against them, just not obsessed with them either. My dad was more into them than myself. He just made me reload 1000's of 12ga shells for us skeet shooting every weekend when I was like 12. I can still do that in the dark.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks