• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 Series Referbs

kdaniels

Does anyone on the forum have any "direct" knowledge of what's done to a M923 that goes thru referb @ RRAD ?
I've seen some discussions on it before on the forum but not sure if it was current with our recent releases.

Semper Fi !!

keith

kdaniels

Truck had roughly 12500 miles on Speedo at time of referb in 2010 and 12700 at the time of sale in 2012. looks like it got new tires..new paint, new seats, new hood, new hoses on the engine, a new hardtop, new floor and cab insulation...ect .ect.. but failed to address the small front oil drip on the engine. I'm guessing it wasn't bad enough to worry with. THANKS !!

Semper Fi !!

keith

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not trying to be a smart a$$, but do a search because someone posted a PowerPoint once that detailed what they do. It's not much. They basically pretty up the truck. On more rare occasions, they replace major components (e.g., engine, transmission, t-case). This was the exception, not the rule, from what I have gathered. I, myself, have had several RRAD rebuilt trucks, and I have not been impressed with many of them (I did have a really nice RRAD M934 that I mentioned in another thread on this topic). Sure, they look pretty, and have a lot of nice stuff (e.g., new tires, new seats, new windshields, new paint), but they often hide serious flaws. That could be true of any truck, but a new coat of paint on an engine, for example, gives the buyer a sense of getting something they may not be. I don't feel like going back to quote some posts I have made on this, but here are some of the problems I've seen with RRAD "rebuilt" trucks: serious valve tap (truck had a few hundred miles since RRAD got done with it...this engine had a RRAD rebuild tag), noisy accessory drive, rear engine main seal leak, seriously dented hood that they just beat out and painted, leaking radiator, electrical problems, toasted alternator, etc. These were all problems I uncovered within a short while of owning these trucks. Keith, your front oil drip is another good example. RRAD says "Build it like your life depends upon it; theirs do," or something like that. I am not so sure that is true. Other guys have had better luck, but I have not been impressed. Would I buy one again...probably...if the price was right. But, I'd go in knowing what I know...that the truck, overall, has been prettied up and may not have had anything else done to it, or not much mechanically.

Last edited:

kdaniels

Thanks Bruce, I've seen your posts and value your opinion. One issue I had when I picked this truck up in Huntsville was the hose for the power steering was cut too short and leaked fluid. I had to correct that issue before I put it on the road for the 200 mile ride home. So far, 5 years later the (very) small leak up front is all I've noticed. The insulation on the new hood turned loose this winter and fell all over the engine but that's small stuff.

Semper Fi !!

keith

Last edited:

Csm Davis

I saw at least 50+ RRAD trucks on RSMS Camp Shelby with less than 100 miles on them before they went from RRAD to RSMS, even seen one with less than 5 miles. All were awaiting a real complete rebuild, frame off, total strip down, and rebuild. The RRAD were all pretty but that's where it ends. Lots of good ones out there also but I believe that has nothing to do with the RRAD but were good when they got there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Gunzy

Not an M939 series truck, but I have an M985 HEMTT that went through a "0 Reset/Rebuild" contract program at Oshkosh. This is a strip to frame and send down the assembly line type program that basically makes it new again and has warranty. They run down the line with new truck builds at the same time and have the 10th digit of the 17 digit VIN changed to denote year of remanufacture. My truck is a 1987 but the VIN digit denotes it as a 2001. Fortunately there is also a data tag that shows the original manufacture date so the state would license it as a 1987 truck. Oshkosh recently was awarded a $4 billion contract to do more HEMTTs which includes upgrade to A4 specs, conversion to new types (i.e. THAAD launcher or M1120 PLS) thus eliminating the sales of HEMTTs through DRMO auction programs until further notice. There have been several come through salvage/scrap contracts which sucks because there is no parts culling and ALL of it is to be chopped into scrap. :(

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks