• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 series towing procedures

M1075

I need some input on proper towing procedures for M939 series trucks.

The operators manual Indicates that damage to automatic transmission will result from towing unless transfer is in neutral. That is surely common sense and I have towed many M809 series trucks this way. However, the manual then goes on to say that normal towing procedures require removing the prop shaft.

My questions are as follows:

1. Is the auto tranny more susceptible to damage while towing than the spicer (assuming transfer in neutral) thus requiring removal of driveshaft?

2. Would a front driveshaft need to be removed if doing a lift tow with rear wheels suspended?

Andy1234

When I flat towed 2 of them, I removed both driveshafts. If towing w/ the front in the air, then I would only remove the rear driveshaft.

I can't comment on the transmission question, as I am still a novice w/ these trucks.

Andy

R Racing

In a nutshell if the output shaft on the trans spins it does not turn the pump in the trans ( which would move fluid thru the clutches and bearings ect ect). The old Mopar auto trans that had the push button selector had 2 pumps. 1 front and 1 rear. Those you could safely push start those cars like a manual trans.

M813A1

James I would just for the sake of safety to your truck take the flange apart at the front rear axle that way the transfer and trans will not spin . Good Luck

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
NO on pulling the front shaft, the transfer has a air shift not a sprag, can not answer the trans question

Coldfusion21

In a nutshell if the output shaft on the trans spins it does not turn the pump in the trans ( which would move fluid thru the clutches and bearings ect ect). The old Mopar auto trans that had the push button selector had 2 pumps. 1 front and 1 rear. Those you could safely push start those cars like a manual trans.
But with the transfer in neutral the output shaft of the automatic transmission shouldn't ever spin right?

If the transfer gets oiled properly with just the rear output shaft turning you should be fine. I know some designs need a certain shaft or gear turning to fling oil or drive a pump.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Coldfusion21;1010347[B said:
]But with the transfer in neutral the output shaft shouldn't ever spin right? [/B]

If the transfer gets oiled properly with just the rear output shaft turning you should be fine. I know some designs need a certain shaft or gear turning to fling oil or drive a pump.
the output shaft is connected to the drivrshafts, the front has a air disconnect

fasttruck

With m939s with straight airbrakes either use two airlines between towed and towing vehicle to release brakes or install caging pins in rfear brake chambers to keep brakes released with no air in towed vehicle. Hope caging pins are in their recepticles on brake chambers or you have extras in your tool box.

powersmoke18

you must remove driveshafts. front and rear to prevent damage. just unbolt the front from the axle flange and remove the rear from the transfer case and axle flange. cagerear brakes if not hooking up front airlines. or start engine and leave parking brake disengaged.

Nonotagain

I need some input on proper towing procedures for M939 series trucks.

The operators manual Indicates that damage to automatic transmission will result from towing unless transfer is in neutral. That is surely common sense and I have towed many M809 series trucks this way. However, the manual then goes on to say that normal towing procedures require removing the prop shaft.

My questions are as follows:

1. Is the auto tranny more susceptible to damage while towing than the spicer (assuming transfer in neutral) thus requiring removal of driveshaft?

2. Would a front driveshaft need to be removed if doing a lift tow with rear wheels suspended?
1. Parasitic rotation of the drive line is possible even with the transfer case in neutral. Since the automatic transmission does not lubricate without the front pump operating, there are bearings and sleeves that would not be lubricated. Is the rotation enough to cause damage, I can't say for sure, but I always pulled the drive shafts or axles to keep from having someone come back at me and claim damages.

2. Pulling the front drive shaft would be easier than pulling a front axle shaft if towing from the rear. Watch your axle weights since the tires are going to be close to maximum weight rating.

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a general practice I remove both front and rear if flat towing or rear if lifting front. Just good to be safe. cheaper to pull shafts than rebuild. Good luck

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going to flat tow I would remove all four in the rear and the front drive shaft from the front axle.
If you need to you will need to cage the brakes on the rear axles.
Here is a link to when we towed my M923A1 home. I just unbolted the front and rear drive shafts for the axles and tired them up.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/77359-m35a2-azs-m923a1-recovery.html

Good luck with your towing and be safe!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks