• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 Tie Rod Ends

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Whole unit

Individual tie rods part numbers Meritor #s A3144V438 and A3144U437 found on ebay and online

Both are found at napa as 2692485 and 2692486.

Listed in the part spreadsheet as well

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My apologies if this has been posted. Is there a Moog or TRW part number for these? Been searching forum and haven't had any luck.
Hi mzak88,

Short answer is E2209R for the Right Tie-Rod and E2210L for the Left. Those numbers should work at NAPA, MOOG, TRUCKPRO, and OREILLY. There is a list on here somewhere compiled by @simp5782 for the 5 Ton.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Is there supposed to be movement of the stud in relationship to the ball of the ball joint?
Best way to give ball joints a quick "look" is to lift the wheel on one side off the ground about an inch (or so). Grab the left and right sides of the tire and attempt to turn (push) it left and right. Check both sides just to be sure... If you see motion, you have a problem and need to make repairs.

If the truck was on it wheels on the ground and you grab the rod that runs between the two front tires - it will swivel - a little. Should be no "slop" though.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Nothing up and down. Best test method is large channel locks on top of the stud gripped to the bottom of the tie rid and squeeze. See if there is any movement or remove the tiered from the steering knuckle and check for loose ness

M939s do not have ball joints. They use a kingpin so in assuming you mean the tie rod

mzak88

I have the tie rod removed from truck, changing kingpin bushings, inner axle seals etc. My truck, M925a2, has been cupping right front tire badly. There is also a shimmy in the steering when doing a 50 mph sharper left highway bend. I havent found anything really that concerning yet. This is my first MV and the largest vehicle I've wrenched on, I've never seen a light truck rod end with movement between the stud and ball of the rod end.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have the tie rod removed from truck, changing kingpin bushings, inner axle seals etc. My truck, M925a2, has been cupping right front tire badly. There is also a shimmy in the steering when doing a 50 mph sharper left highway bend. I havent found anything really that concerning yet. This is my first MV and the largest vehicle I've wrenched on, I've never seen a light truck rod end with movement between the stud and ball of the rod end.
Did you replace the hydraulic shocks for gas operated Monroe or Gabriel's before you started all this?

The shimmy in the curve is from the cup. Its the high ride ridge in the middle and its walking over itself in the corners.

An inside or outside wear is a tie rod issue. If it looks like uneven high rise tread thru the middle its a shock issue

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
No, original equipment shocks.
Pretty sure thats your issue. Kingpins hardly go bad. Takes a good many miles to wear out tie rods as long as they are all grease properly

Stock shocks are junk and I recommend replacing them. They are hydraulic rather than a good commercial gas shock

smoke

I'm pretty sure that ain't suppose to do that. It look like the stud has separate from the ball should be all one pieces. When you move the stud the ball should move right a way with stud. Simp will know better thou.

mzak88

Did you replace the hydraulic shocks for gas operated Monroe or Gabriel's before you started all this?

The shimmy in the curve is from the cup. Its the high ride ridge in the middle and its walking over itself in the corners.

An inside or outside wear is a tie rod issue. If it looks like uneven high rise tread thru the middle its a shock issue
I have really mean wear on the right front, outside tread blocks worn at an angle as well as the first inch from the outside on the middle tread blocks worn into a step pattern. I'll get a pic up tonight

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That is a bad tie rod. That would have up.ans down movement with the crimp technique to check for play

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a bunch of new tie rods with ends that I got years ago at a salvage yard. They made me cut them in half, but they were new. I don't know about size but Ill go get one and see.

What I don't see is the thread part in your video.

I checked and the thread seems to be 1 1/4"- 12 and the nut holding the taper part is 7/8". They are US made by TRW. They are getting some surface rust, otherwise new.

Attachments

Last edited:

mzak88

I have a bunch of new tie rods with ends that I got years ago at a salvage yard. They made me cut them in half, but they were new. I don't know about size but Ill go get one and see.

What I don't see is the thread part in your video.

I checked and the thread seems to be 1 1/4"- 12 and the nut holding the taper part is 7/8". They are US made by TRW. They are getting some surface rust, otherwise new.
I'm pretty sure the threads are inch and a quarter. I used a 1 5/16" wrench to remove nuts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks