• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939, what are the air lines on the park brake doing?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does, but through a relay valve, Your valve may be bad.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just get under the truck and find what is letting air out.

LiqTenEXp

Mine too sounds like it lets the air out when applying the parking brake. Anyone have a good explanation of the air circuit involved in this?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at the parts TM?

Gunzy

It is supposed to let air out. It dumps the air off of the spring brakes into the intake stack and can be a little noisy. Mine sounds like the trick has got gas and is relieving itself. My friend calls it the fart monster.

MtnSnow

Yep...Pulling that parking brake lever is like pulling grampa's finger! Just like it's supposed too! If it's silent then the parking brake is applied then it probably is not venting the spring brakes like it should and thus you are only getting the benefit of the single brake band that is cable activated at the rear of the transfer case.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, the question is, did the OP mean air is sounding continuously or just for a few seconds.

MtnSnow

Good question Doghead.... Yep if it's the momentary fart/venting that's proper but if it's continual or non-existent then something is amiss

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the one that is NOT expelling air, make sure the spring brake over ride knob is pulled OUT to normal. If its pushed in the spring brakes get a constant supply of air and will never set.

racing4funn

On the one that is NOT expelling air, make sure the spring brake over ride knob is pulled OUT to normal. If its pushed in the spring brakes get a constant supply of air and will never set.
DING DING. Chicken dinner. I never push it so I never thought of checking it.. My little one was in there and likes to push buttons.. he is only two year old but has already started pushing my buttons.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a great thread for those who don't really understand the air brakes in these trucks. If that little knob is pushed in, which those who know air brakes would probably do from muscle memory, the truck will only be parked on the little manual parking brake on the drive shaft. That is assuming that is adjusted correctly. That knob is ONLY for an emergency release of the brakes in the case of a catastrophic loss of air to move from an emergency situation, i.e. stuck on rail road tracks or in the middle of an intersection. Other than that it should ALWAYS be out and never used for any purpose.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that in the -10?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If letting 2 year old kids play inside of big trucks was a good idea, don't you think every daycare center would have one of these things?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If letting 2 year old kids play inside of big trucks was a good idea, don't you think every daycare center would have one of these things?
That's pushing it a bit but yes when they are done playing all things should be check to see if something might be amiss.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks