• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 Winch operation

kfrosty

Here is a quick guide to winch operation that hopefully saves others some time.

The manual for this is tm 9-2320-272-10

Start on page 0016-4 for operation

A winch image from the manual is at the bottom.

Winches without a level wind or tensioner.

Cable out

• The winch drum lock knob (#4) should rotate 90 degrees to free winch. In the manual, it looks as the handle should be pointing to the back.
  • The Clutch lever on the back of the winch must be out which is all the way to the left. (Comments in the thread indicate that the top of the handle will move approx 5 to 6 inches between the out an in positions.)
  • Pull the amount of cable you need out of the winch. NOTE: Make sure to to leave at least 4 turns of cable on the winch drum.
  • Caution: Do not winch out a load as per the manual it could damage the winch brake drum.

Winching load

• Start engine and release the hinged latch (#2) and pull clutch lever #3 to where it's as far right as it will go.
  • Put the transmission in 1-5 before engaging the PTO control lever in the cab. Then return transmission back to Neutral once the PTO is lever in the cab is engaged to operate the winch.
  • Engage parking brake
  • When ready to pull, pull the winch control lever to wind and hold.
  • Engine RPM's will increase the speed of the winch. However, do not operate over 1,800 RPM's
  • Note, on my winch, the controls appear to be backwards or the stickers on the top are backwards. Wind, unwinds and Unwind, winds. From what I've read on here, when winding the top of the winch will turn back towards the radiator. That means the winch cable when winding, will come under the bumper roller and then top of the winch and wrap down on the back of the spool. (If this is incorrect, please let me know and I'll correct this.)

Afterwards
  • Wind cable in
  • Disengage Drum Clutch #3 lever back to the left. (Towards the winch) If it doesn't move do it while using the winch wind lever. Use the swing latch #2 to lock the clutch lever.
  • Rotate the drum lock knob 90 degrees. (I'm thinking the handle would be pointing towards the bumper when in the lock position). If necessary rotate the drum by hand to allow the plunger to engage.
  • Disengage the PTO control lever in the cab. (if your controls aren't labeled, the Pto control lever is on the left and the winch lever is on the right. The PTO lever is pulled back towards the seat to engage and pushed towards the dash to engage.
    • I think the wind lever, pull towards the seat to wind and towards the dash to unwind.

WInchDiagram.jpg

Gunzy

If your cable is reeled in over the top of the winch it is correct. So your hydraulic lines at the winch are switched/backwards. I have dealt with 4 winch trucks this year. 3 had the winches cable spooled backwards and one had the hydraulic lines reversed. You have got to love military mechanics who apparently couldn't give a crap.

jlvelezii

use thread tools

Following

No need to add a non info post to a thread, simply look up and above the 1st post and you will notice,
"Thread Tools"
open it and then hit subscribe to this thread,
you will then be able to pick how and when you are notified when new posts are made.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
  • Note, on my winch, the controls appear to be backwards or the stickers on the top are backwards. Wind, unwinds and Unwind, winds. From what I've read on here, when winding the top of the winch will turn back towards the radiator. That means the winch cable when winding, will come under the bumper roller and then top of the winch and wrap down on the back of the spool. (If this is incorrect, please let me know and I'll correct this.)
I picked my 932A2 up from Warner Robins the same day you did so they both seem to have come from the same overhaul cycle. My winch was backwards just as you described so I swapped the hydraulic lines at the winch motor. Fixed the problem.

bluehorse

My M925A2 is a 2012 Red River rebuild or maybe paint job, lol. It has 300 miles on it since the rebuild.

The winch cable is wound backwards and the hydraulic lines are backwards.

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have one of these but the winches I have worked with had basically one way to secure the start of the cable, which should lay flat and be held securely. How would they start the cable backwards?

Is it possible that the drum could go on the winch assembly backwards (symmetrical).?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks